Fly Fishing Forum banner

LARGE Fly Boxes.

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
Well, at my job we use these plastic containers approx 2"x7.25"x10.00" for shipping electronics (x ray detectors actually) around. We now have two dumpsters full of them and they make great large fly boxes. Clear, so you you can see in, two clasps on the front, and a plastic hinge across the rear. Not too good for vest packs, but awesome to keep big flies in the car or on a boat before transferring to a chest pack. Anyone want any? I usually just glue some foam strips in the bottom and voila. Nice fly box. I can grab a bunch and give them out if I see ya, or I can send them, or meet you somewhere and give them. Pretty flexible. I'll try to get a picture of them if I can. Any interest?

#2 ·
ABSOLUTELY! I'll take some reasonable number of them, but that's up to you and what the replies add up to from here on in. I keep a lot of 'spare' flies in my tying drawers and bins and right now they are in flyboxes that I could be using in my vest or chestpack. I could swap out the off-season or other fishery flies into these and free up those smaller boxes. On second thought these dimensions would fit into the rear compartment of my chest pack as well, definitely in my backpack, etc.

They sell sheets of flyfoam w/ adhesive backs. I can't remember where I saw them last but I bought some to line other boxes I've adapted. Probably Hunter's Angling Supplies or Blue Northern, I will check.

Thanks Nick

#5 ·
I can wrap them in a brown paper bag for ya and send you some. Or I can meet you somewhere. I work in Peabody MA, and live in Somerville. Or better yet you can show me your favorite fishing spot, and I can meet you there ;-)

#7 ·
Nick - thanks for the timely reply.

There's NO need to mail them IF you'll be kind enuff to tell me where the dumpster is in Peabody - as I'd be searching for it from as "far" away as Salem. That is, of course, unless it's behind some security fence, guarded by attack pigeons ;) or the neighborhood constabulary (whom I know none of anymore) patrol regularly. I can think of a couple other guys here I could accommodate by making a short field excursion if it's allowable. My guess is you work in Centennial Park somewhere :)

Email me with a pro/con stance on this and I'm happy to save you the postage. Thanks again for the offer. Dave.

P.S. - Speaking of Centennial Park, the Saucony outlet is running their annual sneaker sale beginning tomorrow.

#9 ·
Dave,
I do work in Centennial Park, at Analogic in fact. I would go to the outlet, but I just got some sneakers there a little while a go. That place is a gold mine! On to the topic at hand... I would tell you where to grab them, but they are inside the building. I can meet you somewhere and give you a bunch if you want. I have 20 of them now, and if they are still there tomorrow I can grab as many as you need.

Gregg, a ride in a boat would be AWESOME! I can save a bunch for you and your bro. I have to go home to CT this weekend to see my younger brother graduate from High School, so I won't be around for fishing, any other way I can get them to you? I might be able to drop them off if I am down on the south shore sometime. I would really love to go to one of the Baymen Outfitters Thurs night fishing things. Sounds like a fun time and Capt. Dave is a great guy.

#10 ·
Nick, I would like a couple if you have enough. I work in Charlestown and live in Winchester so I am very near Sommerville. I will speak with Dave if he isgoing to make a pick up.. Believe me ,fences will not stop that guy if he is determined. (wink)

#13 ·
Tod D,
Sounds good, but I can't make it this week. Maybe next week, I'll let you know though.
Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.