Fly Fishing Forum banner

Favorite freshwater fish?

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  flyjkol 
#1 ·
I'm just wondering what your favorite freshwater fish to catch on a fly rod is (other than trout)? Personally, my favorite is sunfish. They were what I learned to flyfish on, and a 1 lb sunnie on a 4 wt rod is a ton of fun. The small ones are easy to catch, but the big ones are a real challenge.

#4 ·
I've only caught a Sunfish on a fly rod :roll: Well I only went out once really, but it was fun, even on my 6-7 wt rod, those 10 oz. buggers put up a fight, and they take my drag out(I went with the traditonal non disc-drag reel for fun, boy am I gettign what I asked for :hihi:

#8 ·
I second the Sunnies, I just think of them as freshwater permit. :Big Grin:

Sunfish are always there and usually willing to bite, over and over and over and over again. I don't fish freshwater much, mostly with the kids so sunnies are on my A list. If I'm up for more of a challenge and stranded in NH then the smallies get my vote, I love watching those things jump up to eye level when I'm in the yak or canoe.

Pickerel and Pike- ya gotta love the strikes but the slime and all those teeth I can do without.

#10 ·
I haven't caught a smallie on a fly rod in a long time, so I don't really remember what it's like. I'm planning a trip up to Maine this summer for some smallmouth fishing though, and my fly rod will be the weapon of choice for sure! I'll be tipping the line with some of my crazy bass patterns that I've been inventing.

#11 ·
largely missing

I'd say Mr. Largemouth,
In the winter its tough going :Eyecrazy: sinking lines slow fishing

but in the warmer months when top water is iNsAnE it cant be beat in freshwater dow south. Pike would likely be my fav if i had the chance more often.

oh and for the record, i've never caught a coldwater trout on fly or otherwise :whoa:
bring on the heckling

#13 ·
Hmm . . . so many to choose from . . .

I guess smallies just barely edge out my other favorites: largemouth bass, pike and carp. Of course, I'd be happy to catch any type of fish on a fly rod about now!

Q

#15 · (Edited)
In my part of the country the White Bass or Sand Bass whichever you prefer to call them are my favorite. In the spring they make their spawning run. If you get lucky they will wear you out. Its not uncommon to catch a 2lb one. Where the White River runs into Beaver Lake the whites, stripers and hybreads run at the same time. Clouser Minnows in assorted colors work great.

Moving water, strong fish, hard to make you mad like that.

:) :) :) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.