Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

If you had to pick one fly...

5K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  KerryS 
#1 ·
... as your overall favorite to fish, not necessarily because it's very effective, but merely because you enjoy fishing it for some reason, what fly would it be, and why?

Mine...

Freshwater: Hoppers, because the hits are usually so furious.

Saltwater: Poppers, because the hits are usually so furious.

:D

#12 · (Edited)
Why for my pic.

Chris,

I chose the Hotpants tied spey style for the reasons it appeals to me. It is a fun fly to tie (if you are into dressing spey flies), I find the purple and red combination visually appealling, depending on size and approach it can be fished in the film or deeply sunk and most of all I have confidence in it. Plus I think it is a pretty and somewhat classy fly and I think it was Juro who said a few weeks ago, steelhead deserve better than to be caught on a crappy fly.

sinktip

#14 ·
Just curious - what is the definition of a "crappy fly".
In my opinion it is any fly that does not do what
it was intended to do - produce fish! What is the
definition of a "classy fly". In my opinion that is
any fly that someone created that does it's job -
and produces fish. What is the soul purpose of
a fly - hmmm, to catch fish. Interesting concept
:cool:

#15 ·
Sharp Steelie,

The definition of a "crappy fly" is easy. It is a fly that is pooly tied, poorly proportioned, overly bulky, falls apart quickly, tied on very poor quality hook, tied on the wrong style of hook for the style of fly, tied with poor quality materials, overly large head, etc.

My definition of "classy flies": beautifully tied spey, dee, and classic featherwing salmon flies (topping wing, married wing and strip wing) that are very effective fish catchers, which also make very nice artwork when tied and placed into a frame (I'm aware that I left out saltwater, trout, bass, pike flies in this illustration). In other words, the flies that require a high degree of tying skill and the use of high quaoity materials which are proportioned properly are "classy flies", everything else doesn't measure up

By my defintion, a "classy fly" is one that no one would be embarrassed to put in a frame and place on the wall of his living room for all to see. Yes, this definition leaves out flies like the gold ribbed hare's ear, grey hackle, brown hackle, girffith's gnat, grease liner, wooley bugger, most chenile bodied flies, and other flies that are usually taught in beginner fly tying classes. Because even if they catch fish, they are still fairly ugly and take very little skill to tie.

I am curious why a simple grey hackle style pink fly though because I have never found spring creek trout to be fond of things other than pretty close color and from matches. I also have never found northern pike or pickerel to be fond of anything but large streamer style flies in colors other than pink, and I have not found smallmouth or largemouth bass to be fond of small or pink flies either.

#17 ·
I, too, am curious as to why that pink fly should be so effective on so many species; it resembles few prey items in most freshwater habitats, and I can't see why it should be any more effective than those beer can shaped lures they sell to ******** (no offense to anyone here that might own one :D ).

#18 ·
It imitates various forms of zoo plankton, worms, and
even egg skein. Has great action in the water. It has
worked on every single body of water that I tried it
on. It is very durable - one fly lasted through several
fish. Personally, I have tied just about every type of
fly patterns out there including speys, atlantic salmon,
trout, bass, etc. If I want to tie some flies for the
artistic value; thats easy - speys and atlantic salmon.
When I want to tie something that will produce fish
after fish - I know excactly what to tie and use. When
it comes to choices, I'll pick what works to catch fish.
:cool:

#20 ·
Sharp Steelie,

Am I correct to assume that if your were fishing a spring creek that has a blizzard hatch of #22 Tricos or #18 PMD's going on you would fish your pink fly instead of a #22 Trico or #18 PMD imitation? Likewise, it is correct to assume that you would use your pink fly instead of a large streamer for northern pike?

And are we all to assume that steelhead that have been caught of Glasso's Orange Heron, G.P., Ally's Shrimp, Akroyd, full dressed featherwing Kate, or Bomber were all flukes because they are not all that effective for fish catching?

Me thinks you have oversimplified things far too much.

#21 ·
In my opinion, there is nothing better on a fly rod then a
fresh, large summer run Steelie. Haven't fished spring
creeks in many years. Do I think my pink fly in a size 6
would work while there is a size 22 midge hatch going on -
I doubt it. Would I go after Northern Pike with a size 6
pink fly - no. If I ever did go after Northern Pike would go
with a much larger size. Would I pick my little pink fly over
any Steelhead fly ever tied - in a heart beat! Would I
pick my little pink fly over any other fly for the Northwest -
in a heart beat! I have had the priviledge to watch other
fly fishermen nail fish after fish with my little pink fly
(Steelies). It made their dreams come true! Have also
found out that several people that I have never met
are also doing really good with it (multiple species).
I also believe that proper presentation is important.
Been tying flies since 1977 - this little pink fly is the
most effective and forgiving pattern I have ever seen
and used. Only the little Passion fly has come close -
from my experience, and the experience of some
others - nothing even comes close. Find some fish,
put it in front of them and watch what happens!
:)

#22 ·
I've got a fly I'd much rather fish than that, but you'd rather fish yours than mine I'm sure. Mine's dubbed the "steelhead creeper" and although it's a variant and hybrid of this and that I did come up with it one night with a glass of scotch at a picnic table at camp on a summer steelhead trip. It's been very effective, and others have done well on it too, within the small circle of friends who have seen it and adopted it.

My point is this, we all have favorites. There's two ways to treat a good fly... you can either talk a lot about it as you do..... or else feel so damn good about it you don't talk about it much with anyone :smokin:

#26 ·
Juro, your absolutely correct - I didn't have to say a
word. I was asked to by several people to do so
And you know what - I'm excited to help others. Well
now the cat is out of the bag and I believe in
finishing what is started. You know it's being taken
seriously when someone tries to say it is a regeneration
of a dry fly! What is wrong with people when they just
can't accept something good - why? I would be more
than happy to give your pattern a go - send me the
recipe and I'll tie some up. My patterns have been
very effective for many years. Over the last 18 years
have narrowed it down to 3 extremely effective
patterns, 1 that works very well for just summer
runs/trout, and 1 that I keep with me mostly to have
something different and sentimental reasons.
Remember, I was asked to share! And that sharing
has already made a postitive impact in some
other fly fishermens success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.