Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean's Wedding Present Idea - PLEASE READ!

11K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
OK - as of 8am pacific time, our webmaster Sean Ransom sailed off into the sunset to get hitched to his true love. He will not be back on line for several days so I thought I would take this opportunity to suggest a collection to buy him his own Spey rod. I know what you're thinking... Juro just wants his IMX back... well OK that might be just a little bit true - but he has been dreaming about this T&T forever and his bride to be nixed any hopes of that purchase before the various costs of the wedding, honeymoon, and the move to the new house came into play.

I was going to do the Bon Marche registry thing but then I have no idea how that stuff works. Flyrods I understand.

Read the details below and SIGN UP HERE

Here's how it will work -

I have located the rod he wants at a fraction of the cost of the same rod sitting on a store shelf - $270. We could make contributions toward this amount from anyone who wants to take part, the amount will be divided equally by the number of participants. So if we get 25 people, it's around $10.80 each. If we get 50 it's $5.40 each, if we get 100 it's 2.70 each, etc.

I guess at some point the amount will get so low and the number of payments so high that it will be more work than benefit so let's cut it off at 100 people. Cost per person will depend on number of participants so let's set a minimum as well... TBD.

The person who volunteers to collect the money will receive a Rio flyline of their choice for their troubles.

History:

Sean joined us during the migration of our old forum to the new software. The old company went under with the dotcom crash. I was up past 2am several nights trying to save the old messages, and if not for Sean we would have never made it over. Some people who had not come to the Forum in a while didn't even know we had gone through hell to move to a new provider, that speaks volumes to me on how good of a job Sean did.

Then we merged with Spey Clave to get Dana off that dreaded MSN service. Although there were physical differences in the data itself, Sean wrote a spider to extract all the messages and built an archive of every message ever posted in the old Speypages forum within the new Spey Clave board.

Then more recently we went thru a hellish server move where everything had to be re-installed on a new server from scratch because we grew too much.

Many of you who encounter problems, forget passwords, can't sign up, etc - know that he takes at least half of the requests before I can get to them.

He has been without a doubt a major contributor behind the curtain and I think this would be a nice gesture of our gratitude. The number of hours he has put into this site is second only to yours truly and Dana, and we could not possibly afford his services if he asked for what they are paying on the street for his skills and dedication.

Please reply if you are interested in this program or if you have suggestions or improvements.

BTW - I'd like to get this all done and cleaned up before he comes back so it remains a surprise!

See less See more
#9 ·
Fred -

We'll do one better... there will be a signup sheet that tracks participants, calculates the per user amount to the cutoff date / level and also emails directly to you for those who want to pay by check.

I think it would be a good idea to leave the paypal option open for those who prefer it, like myself.

Right now the objective is to test the waters to see if we can get to the minimum level of participation as we put together this signup sheet.

Thanks to all in advance.

#11 ·
Juro, very cool!~

Fred -

We'll do one better... there will be a signup sheet that tracks participants, calculates the per user amount to the cutoff date / level and also emails directly to you for those who want to pay by check.

I'm assume(ing) - even with the full understanding that "assume will make an ass out of 'u and me':D - that you'll set up the sheet on the board?
fae

#12 ·
Fred -

Not exactly, the signup sheet will be written in a server programming language with a web page for us to click and type into. Once you hit [save] it will update the total per person, the participants information, and divide the new average amount which we might get down to a few bucks each.

There will of course be a link to this signup page on the board.

Did that answer the question?

#16 ·
Fred -

Thanks for taking the bull by the horns again, you are a great asset as always.

There really will be nothing we need you to do until we have the list prepared and the final price determined. You will get a complete list with all the info you need to use as a checklist at that time. I assume this will be within the next 5 days. Sean will be back on line in about a week.

I assume half will use paypal as well, which you don't need to worry about at all. The maximum we will take is 100 people at 2.70 cents each between both payment methods.

#20 ·
100 @ $2.70? Heck if we went for a fiver even ...

We could get the new Mrs's a rod too. No better way to start off - continue a marrage. Pretty tough for the "bride" to complain about the husband spending too much time "fishing" if she's right there beside him.

:D

I also strongly suspect most husbands would 'give their eye teeth' to have their wives as their best fishing buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.