Fly Fishing Forum banner

Slimmer Beauty

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
OK -

Taking my past experiences and applying them to this new knot I learned yesterday...

I feel I've made a significant improvement over the standard slim beauty by incorporating the use of the double-eyed needle and converting the wrap and clinch finish to a nail knot...

This results in a far more streamlined, far more adjustable line half...

The already difficult to work GSP (or dacron) is pre-tensioned over the needle, lightly gripped onto the line and slid down to compress against the flyline "barrell" as it's tightened.

Not only is the end result much better but it was infinitely easier to do than fudging with my fat fingers and trying to tuck it underneath where the tensions on the line are going in odd directions.

So there you have it! The anorexic beauty! :smokin:

See less See more
#2 ·
Just for gits and shiggles I tried the method on a mono connection (based on reading JF's post). I am 100% flyfisher so I won't use this but the curiosity got the better of me...

It made me realize what a WASTE it is that the masses use a spool full of monofilament line!!!

Here is the current thinking... (conventional wisdom)...

Spool up a thousand yards of mono. Fish a while, it gets twisted. Dump it and spool it up again. Repeat.

We all know what mono does to the environment.

Why don't spin guys and conventional gear guys ALL use a system where just a length of mono is used in front of a more durable, lower stretch material that lasts several years instead of a couple of trips?

One has to wonder... JF, any thoughts on this?

#3 · (Edited)
As they say…”In the day” ......the conventional folks all used Blue Dot or Micron Braid. With the first transition to spinning along came mono because the earlier braids were just too thick to cast on a spinning reel. It did not take long for the conventional guys to transition to mono for casting distance. With the advent of the modern thin distance braids most spinning guys have given up on mono are doing as you say and tying the braid to the mono or flouro with a double uni or a beauty…The transition for the conventional guys has been slower… Some still think they can cast further with mono and it does provide better abrasion resistance (at least it is easier to monitor abrasion with the fingers) and it is simpler to just spool on all mono..The other drawback to braid and even braid with a mono shocker on a conventional is the dreaded backlash (or professional overrun). With the plug speeds generated, many, many breakoffs of $20 plugs occur if one does not pay explicit attention. And us old folks find paying explicit attention on the cast just gets old! That is why I am converting to spinning even for the bigger plugs because I do not want to have to think anymore when I am fishing:devil:

I should have read your post earlier because I just tied a 15 foot shocker to some braid on a new spinning reel with the Slim Beauty...I will have to give the "Nail Beauty" a try.

I am wondering if we will ever see the transition to braid for folks that are starting out..The low cost spinning combos in the chain sporting goods stores will probably always carry mono...we shall see

#4 ·
Just thought of something...

this would make an excellent joint between a steel leader (which should handle a double overhand knot pretty well) and the mono portion of the leader for toothy critters like blues, spanish, cuda, etc.

I use a surgeon's knot now, and actually it's probably the better of the two for simplicity and it already has phenomenal strength.

JF, has anyone thought of using a surgeon's knot for backing to mono? Simple to tie and near 100% rating.

#9 ·
juro said:
Why don't spin guys and conventional gear guys ALL use a system where just a length of mono is used in front of a more durable, lower stretch material that lasts several years instead of a couple of trips?
I flyfish most of the time, but I still have 4 spinning reels that are spooled with
Fireline to which I tie on a 10-12 ft length of mono, which I effectively use as a
very long tippet, replacing it once it gets down to 5 feet or so. I have several
friends who (now) do the same thing: the Fireline will last a long, long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.