Fly Fishing Forum banner

North Shore St Lawrence rivers?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rankinstein 
#1 ·
I'm pondering the possibility of spending some time fishing/exploring some of the rivers on the North shore of the St. Lawrence this year, in addition to spending a week out in Gaspe in early/mid June.
I'll have a vehicle, so I can go as far as the road goes. I'm not as interested in big rivers like the Moise, but the smaller to medium-sized rivers that generally can be waded. I hate fishing in crowds, so am prepared to go a long way, well east of Sept Iles if necessary.

Any suggestions for rivers and what dates to fish them?

#2 ·
NORTH SHORE RIVERS

Fontinalis

The North Shore rivers to consider are

from West to East

Starting from Godbout a small town 40 minutes east of Baie Comeau

Godbout (zec) Late June to Late July
Trinite (zec) Late June to Late July
Pentecote (public) Late June to Late August
Aux Rocher (ZEC) Late June to Late July

Moisie (ZEC and Private Outfitter only) (Early June to late June for the zec Outfitter run are later)
Haute Saint Jean (Private Outfitter only) Mid June to late July)
Mingan (NAtive band management private)
Natasquan (Native band management private)

Between MIngan and NAtasquan is around 4 to 5 rivers that are private outfitters

If you need more info feel free to shoot me an email brooktrout@globetrotter.net

Jocelin

For crowds dont worry any river any time no crowds on the North Shore even in prime time

#3 ·
Jocelin has well detailed the rivers and optimum times .IMHO I'd concentrate on one river and "add others as you travel up the coast from Tadoussac starting with the Escoumins .Call in at each river and ask if the fish ARE in/arrived . The Laval has pretty well tanked and IS very difficult to fish .The ZEC rivers
Escoumins , Godbout, Trinite(s) ,Aux Rochers are well worth looking into .DO NOT be disuaded by the small runs BELIEVE ME:smokin: :cool: .All are screaming for a two handed rod ! There is one superb outfitter on the Moisie but you have crossed that river out ,and on the St Jean (EXCELLENT FOLK) Be sure to mention that you are C&R orientated and doors will magically open !
The Montagnais on the Natashquan run an EXCELLENT outfitting service.
As far as flies just bing along your Gaspe selection ! After all, the Godbout is where the Green Stonefly originated ! Most (all?) rivers are tea coloured but green flies seem to woik OK ,as does a small brown swuanundaze bodied stonefly. North Shore Salmon seem to prefer smallish flies
Cheers

#4 ·
Thanks both for the info.

I'm contemplating going as far as Natashquan just to explore a part of Quebec that I haven't seen yet, and to check out some of those rivers.

Also of interest would be hopping over to Anticosti Island. I've heard that the fishing can be very good there (for smaller fish), and there's a lot of scenery and hiking as well.

#5 ·
Regarding Anticosti, you should call Parcs Quebec for info. Island is fairly segmented as to free camp vs guided only areas. The Jupiter is beautiful and I have seen many fish in the pools. The guest books in camps are impressive. I have only deer hunted the island (15 years). Never fished as it is very iffy for a pay week. I would rough it if I were to go for the salmon. RW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.