Another attempt,
Hooks.........TMC 811s...#2 and 2/0
Slinky fibre and Sea fibre
#2/0 has a few strands of olive Bucktail added

Dave :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Lookin' good!

After taking a few fish, the material will get tangled and gnasty/gnarley...
Here is something I carry in an easy to reach pocket for quick phly re-newal...

Attachments

#4 ·
Very nice, I can see the improvements over the last batch. You may want to go a tad sparcer and try to taper the material so it's thinner towards the tail. Nice job on the heads. Remember it's what they look like in the water that counts.

Those will definately catch fish. Keep up the good work.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replys, i like the hooks so will get more in. I have some Daiichi 2546 which i will try for some patterns.
Only thing i find is the synthetic hair seems a bit lifeless compaired to Bucktail /Hackles , i expect it livens up in a current....but it just seems to lack something :rolleyes:
There is no point me tying loads of flies if they are not right, so please keep the feedback comeing, it really does help. :)
And i will keep trying to make them sparser,.... honest!

Dave :wink:

#6 ·
Striper candy for sure!

Which type of body synthetic / hair are you using? For long sand eels I have settled on ultrahair / superhair after much experimentation because its less tangly than the crinkly / thinner brands. I fish this style of fly a lot for stripers and I don't need to fuss with the fly much if the right stuff is used. The ideal material is one that is not too fine and frizzy but yet not too stiff and lifeless. Put just a few strands of flash inside to show through when wet, just a few.

Those will work though!

#7 ·
Juro,
The hair i used was
Slinky fibre.....White......good
Frizz fibre.......light olive...... :frown:
Sea fibre........Grey........... :frown:
Next on the list is Superhair

Just got some nice Bucktails, so will use them soon( the dogs ate the last ones !)
And i think i will use some of them on a bend back pattern.

#8 · (Edited)
still trying tying

some bend backs on 1/0 daiichi

and some clouser/deep eel types

Smoke colour Super hair with bucktail, on 1/0 Daiichi (sold out of 811's)
All flies pass the bath tub test and swim well :)
Here they are drying out after a swim

You sure your not bored yet ?

Dave :Eyecrazy:

#9 ·
Oh yeah, you're in the zone now :)

But the pre-painted eyes however convenient will pop out because they are not recessed; it's better to buy the recessed eyes and burnish the sticker eyes in the shallow socket with the corner of your thumbnail instead. This is not such a big deal on the flats but when you fish the beach the flies take a beating and some of the biggest monster fish are in the suds so you want a fly that can handle the program.

#10 ·
The pre painted Real Eyez are convienient but I find that the pupil is gone in short order. Pupils also fade on the burnished stick on's. I, sometimes, epoxy the 3-D eyes in and find that to be the most durable. But usually I tie up several with the intent of installing the epoxy eyes, but don't get to before using them. They seem to work without anyhow so, with time, I'm getting less anal about da eyez.

#12 ·
bend backs

Hi Ron,
Those bend backs are all home made, still trying to get the angle right.
The middle one does have another bend in it, though i'm not sure if it is needed or even wanted :chuckle: it might compromise the gape a bit.
Not trying to hide the hook so much as to get the keel effect going.

Fred and Juro,
The eyes seem better than what i've us before, but i haven't tested them yet so i don't know if they will hold up or not. Just found a supplier for the recessed eyes, so will give them a go.
Normally i would cover the eyes with a layer of epoxy anyway, so maybe i've just been lucky as i've not had many eyes fall off.

Thanks for all your replies,

#13 · (Edited)
BendBacks

Hey Dave,

I tend to just put the one bend into my bend backs with the bent portion roughly pointing/aligning to the hook point. I got my hands on a bucket load of stainless partridge aberdeens which are perfect for the job.

See I am going to have to beg/borrow/steal some flies off you next time we meet up. :lildevl: Nice flies!

#14 ·
F.Y.I. The 5-minute epoxy has a tendancy to yellow in short order. If this is not the effect you are looking for it's not a bad idea to ties up a bunch of flies now and epoxy them when the season get's closer. I've found that rodbuiding epoxy (2-hour) holds up well but it's a pain to mix and work with for small batches. On the up side it has a longer pot life and is waterproof.

#15 ·
Hi Jim,
The epoxy i use is repositionable ( 2-3 hoursdrying) and, as long as i don't touch it, it holds the clear look........so far. Just put it on the drying wheel and forget !
Though to be safe i'll leave off coating them for as long as i can.
Couldn't get on with 5 min epoxy, far to quick for me ! :tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.