Fly Fishing Forum banner

Quick Rundown on South Florida around Thanksgiving

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  seafox 
#1 ·
I might have the oppurtunity to go to Florida over the Thanksgiving holiday is my dad and stepmother are flying down there to visit her grandmother. Anyways, how is Key West in relation to the good flats fishing. Is it closer to redfish, snook fishing in the backwaters?

I am very very unfamiliar with this fishery? What are the species targeted during late November?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

And Juro, the next time they head out to Boston, it will be a sure thing that I will find a way to tag along. ;)

#2 ·
Key West is AWESOME in November for flats fishing! I hope it happens for you, you'll come back with dreams of Margaritaville in your head that will never really fade from your mind. The mangroves, coral sands, blue waters and the whole package is simply narcotic.

I can recommend a few people to you, for starters:

Ben Ianotta Jr, author of Memories of the Miramichi. Ben is a guide in Key West.

Bill Corrigan, who works at Nauset Angler right now but will be returning to Florida in November where he hails from.

There are many, many flyshops from Key Largo to Key West - I recommend talking to Bonefish Bob, Worldwide Angler in Islamorada, Jeff Cardenas who I believe still owns that beautiful flyshop right in Key West for starters.

And don't forget to try the yellowtail snapper, conch chowder and key lime pie with a margarita while you're there!

Keep us informed... and ask any questions you have; anyone here with Key's knowledge will help you out I'm sure.

#5 ·
Hey-saw your note. Will be down around Nov 10th and can be reached at Mangrove Outfitters Fly Shop in East Naples. I specialize in shore fly fishing and can put u in contact with boat guys. Drop me an e-mail @ seafoxent.com or say hello when you get to the Naples area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.