Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bonefish Fly Patterns - Second Edition

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GMflyfish 
#1 ·
Received a copy of Dick Browns book for Christmas. I have had a hard time putting it down. To me its a must have for anyone interested not only in tying bonefish flies but in catching bonefishing. Its much more than just fly tying instructions. It gives you the components that make a good bonefish fly in most all conditions, how to fish them, thoughts of the men that tied them and much more. I rarely tie from set patterns but this book has given me lots of ideas I want to try out and incorporate into the flies I do tie.

#5 ·
Lee,
I read read the original Fly Fishing for Bonefish before my first bonefishing trip in 92. Great book. I would have been lost without it. I also got the second edition of it.

Gary,
I have only messed around with variations on the Big Ugly. Here are a few I tied. Upper left is closest to the Big Ugly. Just added some rabbit to it behind the wing. The others I used rabbit and fox for the most part.

Walt

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks for the picture Walt.
Boy, I don't know about that one with the pink head and bright chartreuse. Though I have caught a couple of bones on a puff with a bright chartreuse head, bead chain eyes.
I do like rabbit fur, but I don't recall using fox in any of the salt water patterns I've tried.
I'm probably not going to put much effort into bonefish flies until I have some scheduled opportunity to use them.
Thanks.
GMflyfish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.