Fly Fishing Forum banner

VIRUS ALERT!! New nasty in attachments

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
I've gotten two e mails in past few days from folks on the International Spey Board or the Flyfishing Forum with buggy attachments.

Fortunately, the Banks systems are as current as money can make them so both were caught by the main server and squashed.

The virus comes in as an attachment (don't they all?) and the most common one (twice for me) is an attachment called "NEWS_DOC.DOC.scr which has the virus W32.Badtrans.B@mm" imbedded in it. Always check with a sender before opening up an attachment to assure it's one they've sent and are "sure of" prior to that second click with the mouse key.

ps: jdjones, you got it 'bad!'
Fred

#2 ·
That's it attachments are hereby shut down... :D

Sean - what is the risk? I suppose someone could try to attach a corrupt file here but we could squash the post immediately.

Another option is to approve attachments before they are accepted, this SW supports that.

How 'bout if we all vow to douse anyone who attaches a virus to a post with pogie oil and light a match? :eek:

#3 ·
It looks we have the forum set so only attachments ending in gif,jpg,txt,bmp,jpeg are accepted. Since these are not executable file extensions I don't think we have to worry about anything.

We should be immune to email attachment viruses as posting to the site doesn't involve email at all.

I guess we will have to save the pogie oil for something else....

-sean

#6 ·
You can put an executable file in a txt file but it will not be executed by the browser. The reason being is a browser knows to open a txt file as text and not execute anything inside of it. You will just a get a bunch of complied code. Alot of viruses out there will do something like hello.txt.src which then becomes excutable by the browser.

Realistically I don't think we need even accept txt files as that option really isn't going to be used. Juro what do you think?

-sean

#8 ·
An additional thought. Given the Banks Norton (as well as our McAffee at home) chomped the incoming nasty is it possible to run our messages through such a system?

Don't know how "our" board server is set up (it's the wife and all four of the kids who are propeller-heads) but this may be a fairly simple procedure to implement. Heck, Costco's selling the lastest McAfee for $39.99 with a $40 dollar mail in rebate (no kidding!!).

fe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.