Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

30 bonefish flies in the past three days

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Striblue I am coming for ya...

Quick question about the wings on the gotchas and crazy charlies.

What is a good length for these things. All the sites I have vistied all have different ideas. Mine are about 2 1/2 times the hook shank.

Is that OK or does it really matter? Figure I can always trim them back....

-sean

#2 ·
Sean..good to have the competition.. I finished 140 of Dick Browns 150 in his book... I am no expert but the wing lengths should be be about what you have done... although the gotchas and Charlies seem to extend only one hook length from the bend of the hook.. (2X the hook length).. for examole the original crazy or Nasty Charlie uses white hackle tips , with the dumbell tired right in at the eye of the hook... all silver flash for body and tail covered by a wrap of 15 pound mono... while the later, and more popular one, from Charles Perkins.. uses craft fur or calf tail,,, pearl flashabo for tail and body with clear v-rib for the body... the eye is tied a bit down from the eye.

#3 ·
errr..Charlie Perkins is one of Lee's Bahamien children?
It seems that the wings on Gotchas/Charlies are getting longer. Some guides/FFrs in the Keys, Bahamas and Xmas island are tying them almost three times the length of the shank. Almost like a slider. Can't hurt to try.

#4 ·
I think it depends on the size of the bonefish that you're going after. For the Bahamaian bonefish, I usually tie on a wing that goes just beyond the hook shank. A friend of mine took some of the longer ones but eventually ended up trimming the wing back a little.
Also, try it with a small clump of ginger bunny fur. Works great for me. I also do a version of a bonefish bitter. I tied the rubber legs more horizonally and I use the ginger bunny. Works great!

Angie

- moderated -

#6 ·
Sean,

Some guy up in Michigan says he has been killing the steelhead on bonefish flies this spring. Could be they are like a comet steelhead fly. I am sure you will be able to use them for steelies after your florida trip. Give them a try.

Bonefishing looks better the cold michigan steelhead fishing I am going to partake of this spring. Looks real good wading in warm bahamian waters.

Snowing now in Chicago several inches on the ground and in the high 20s and blowing.

Spring must be here the end of this week I pray.

Hal

#7 ·
The Crazy Charlie(aka.Nasty Charlie)was invented by No.Cal. steelheader and travel entreprenuer Bob Nauheim. I can't help but to think that he was influenced by the Comet and Boss flys that are so effective on the Russian and other coastal streams. I think that the Crazy Charlie ranks among the top five most significant Salt Water flies.

#8 ·
Hi Dan

I also like the Polar Fibre material. I've used that in a lot of my backcountry flies. I don't think that I've come across the shrimp colored material yet. I bet that would be great on a Gotcha. I'll have to try that. Do they sell that in a light tan also?
I'm going to Eleuthera next month. That'd be a good place to test them out.
Thanks
Angie

#11 ·
Greetings!

I think you have the wrong idea about the Flyfishing Forum, it's principles, and your participation as a business here.

We are a not-for-profit cooperative of flyfishing enthusiasts, professionals and businesses working together to improve the flyfishing experience for people who contribute to this cause.

I honestly believe we can increase the flyfishing experience in people's lives, and we already have for many!

But working together does not mean taking advantage and promoting business interests without contributing to the overall cost and burden of this resource.

For members there are lots of ways to contribute - their posts, friendship, humor, fund-raising, advice, etc. What people put in they get back.

For commercial interests the arrangement we offer is very affordable advertising sponsorship. I'm sure you've heard of this before on the wild, wild web. It's a win-win for both of us! We love our sponsors, and because we are not-for-profit the rates are really low.

Meanwhile the site costs are going higher and higher as traffic increases. We spend countless hours maintaining and upgrading this site, in fact we are in process of moving the entire site to a bigger server each night after our day jobs. We just can't let people view this community as a place to be taken advantage of. It's not fair to the members and other advertisers alike. Please refrain from this.

SO - If you would like to promote your offerings, commercial websites, products, etc - please contact me about sponsorship. It's getting harder and harder to keep the site running as it's growing so fast. It's not a place where you should come take advantage of the community by advertising without sponsorship.

Your openly promotional posts have been moderated until we work out all the details.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Juro

#12 ·
Hi Dan

Can you please send me a private message with your website address again?
B]...Because I'm a flyingfishing enthusiast who would like to improve my flyfishing experience by tying better flies. [/B] :)

If you're not allowed to do that, I think I recall seeing your link on the FloridaSportsman forum. I'll find it.

For now, I've got some of the white polar fibre so I'm going to tie that on a couple of Gotchas and try it out on the white sand flats of Eleuthera next week. I'll let you know how it does for me.

Thanks!
Angie

#13 ·
You got part of it right, Angie - except for the selective omission of the "contributing to the cause" part. :rolleyes:

A N Y W A Y... Polar fibre is a common material you can get from any of our sponsors, in the short or hard to find long length. It's hardly an 'exclusive' material. Just click on any banner ad (for a flyshop ad) and it will take you to a sponsors site.

#14 ·
** moderated **

Juro –

This is your forum. You can run it anyway you wish. I respect that and this will be my final post here.

It is amusing that you find it necessary to selectively moderate post. Seems that some are more ‘commercial’ than others. Oh well, that’s your choice.

What’s really a hoot are your inconsistent statements like:

Juro [this thread]
"We are a not-for-profit cooperative of flyfishing enthusiasts, professionals and businesses working together to improve the flyfishing experience for people who contribute to this cause.”

Juro [Keys/Andros Report thread]
“Yes, so keep coming to the FORUM and clicking away... get that traffic up there and the sponsors happy so we can buy that shack and it will be our time-share!:smokin: ”

So Juro, what cause do your sponsors contribute to? Just how reliable are your traffic statistics for your advertisers?

My apologies to Juro and the other forum members if this post sounds mean. It isn’t meant to be. It’s just a friendly parting gig.

Juro, let me know next time you get to Florida. I’d be happy to guide you for a day of sight fishing snook, reds, seatrout and possibly tarpon.

Best, wishes,
Alan
www- moderated for Juro by Alan –
:)

#15 ·
I think all that Juro is trying to do is to keep the forum Discussions free of vendors filling up the discussion threads. Most of the time an e-mail works anyway. I also know that this policy is not issolated to this forum. Sponsors get space in exchange for funds to keep this going... there are also contributions from members.... and, some sponsors pay by offering services to the members... not just Juro.. I think Flymandan was just naturally responding to someone he knew, but he has only 2 posts on this site. I find it difficult to understand why you would react the way you have.

#16 ·
No problem Alan, I've been taking the time to correspond on this with you guys all along behind the scenes - no reason to stop now. I guess those private messages explaining things to you don't count for much, reading this new post.

Besides I have so much on my plate I could really use a break from people who want to take advantage of our community.

Sure, why don't you let us work our asses off, donating our time and money to keep this site going so you can join in and promote your interests without offering anything in return despite my efforts to explain our policies in private messages and emails.

Yes, and for those sponsors we really appreciate, let's just let everyone else promote themselves free on the site that they help keep running with their banners?

No thank you!

Per the joke I made, that you quoted... about buying a shack... how is that commmercial? You lost me on that one. If a club buys a shack and members can stay FREE on a time share, how is that commercial? I think everyone here would see that as downright CHARITABLE! That's like saying when Sierra Club buys a park for people to enjoy to protect it from big business it's a commercial ploy.

Anyway you have nothing to worry about. We aren't even at 50% of covering annual costs (read: zero profit) for 2002 at this time. We won't be buying a shack anytime soon.

Last point: Moderation... for the record, guess how many posts have been moderated over tens of thousands of posts? You could count them on one hand. You could almost count them on one finger until the last 24 hours!

Let's just get back to the important stuff... FISHING! You guys are more than welcome, like I said repeatedly we love your posts. As long as we understand each other on the policies there will be no further moderation needed... your call!

#17 ·
For anyone out there who spends time cruising the "blue nowhere" to exhange ideas about the sport we love and maybe learn something, it should be obvious that this forum is slightly different.

It survives because of the efforts of a few individuals who give up a considerable amount of their time and money and our sponsors who for a very reasonable fee get to advertise their commercial operations to the members of the forum.

I along with many others here have referred at sometime to a particular product or guide or lodge or whatever since that kind of information could be of value to others. But there's a point at which continually highlighting a particular commercial venture becomes promotional and at that point we need to be sensitive to our sponsors. Thats only fair.

#18 ·
You know Juro...Perhaps you could work a little on your tactics and you'd get more sponsors. We were fully prepared to work on a trade with you at one point but when Alan first sent you a message asking about your policies, your response was rude and have continued to be so ever since. At that point, we didn't feel much desire for offering a trade.

I don't think that we've done anything so wrong. We just include the website address in our signature. In exchange, we offer information and insite to the forum.
We are knowledgable about the fishing in Florida and the Bahamas and would love to continue to share that information with anyone who wants it. You have a nice group of people on this forum and I've enjoyed exhanging messages with them.

I'm sorry that you feel that we are commiting a forum crime by offering our website address to those who may be interesting in seeing it.
Nuf said.
Like you said...Lets just talk about the important stuff...fishing. I'm done with this conversation.

Angie

#20 ·
Well, Angie -

Thank you for the lesson in smooth tactics 101! Sorry to let you down, but I'm just an ornery ol' angler with a dream who is willing to belly up to the bar day in and day out. And I am in good company here, the good people of the FORUM community and our sponsors alike give their time, energy and once a year open their wallets if they can because that's what it takes to keep the lights on.

Go ahead and try to rationalize your actions any way you wish on behalf of Alan, Flymandan, your guide association, your lodges, your travel associates, in fact your entire circle of cohorts. Just be informed that I will hold the line firmly here out of respect to all who have actually helped out.

This thread is now closed - another first I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.