Fly Fishing Forum banner

A taste of PR Tarpon...

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
#7 · (Edited)
flight got in late, long drive but here are a few until later tonight...

Arrived in San Juan, grabbed a jeep and headed to Porta Del Sol, the west end of the main island. Headed straight into what I hoped to leave... but somehow things were easier to take thinking about what was ahead.

After a great dinner of fresh local snapper cooked PR style, I asked a local if he knew where there might be some tarpon. He laughed and said "look in the water!"

Pleasantly surprised in the morning, but spent the day getting my mind cleared which was first priority. Cliffs, pristine beaches and snorkeling took first priority. I did a little mid-day searching on the grass flats but soon gave in to the call of frozen drinks made with fresh pineapple and great rum (Barrilito 3-star is great stuff).

But soon the call of the hunt got again and I was searching the next morning.

Picked up a few small cuda, yellowtail snapper, a nice bar jack - no tarpon, bones or permit so I decided to go take a look in Joyuda where the tarpon were the previous night.

#10 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys. It seems like eons ago when I was there...

But tonight it's almost 11 and I just fixed the last bug for the day on a Motown business trip and I need to be back in that software lab by 7am so I am going to go find a place to have a nightcap somewhere near this hotel and try to get some more pics up tomorrow after work.

BTW - some of the boys are in Acklins as we speak...

#12 ·
Well I wrestled tarpon up to 70 pound class and although they beat me up it wasn't due to the hand. I will admit it got sore after a lot of casting but I think by May the stripers will feel it's wrath again :wink:

I plan to re-enter the Uechi-Ryu class soon. A bit more cautious sparring though!

#14 ·
As mentioned, I began by heading west to Porta Del Sol - the rain shadow area of the main island. Rincon to the north, Mayaguez a major city, to Boqueron (fishing mecca) a beautiful coastal area down to Cabo Rojo (most beautiful beaches), Joyuda (seafood restaurant capital) and El Combate's cliffs and lighthouse facing the Carribean sea in all it's glory.

I hiked down to that beach and snorkeled for hours among a small group of sun worshippers, couples and families taking in the incredible beauty of a remote pristine beach as Sucia is.

I had to crack up a little about the presence of an old friend at Boqueron...

I guess little guy gets a lot of respect no matter whose tire tracks it decides to nest in! Monomoy guys can relate I am sure.

I made it to many of the spots I analyzed by aerial prior, the above is the spot I claimed I would be at. There is a road that leads close to the water and I walked miles of grass flats to the inlet. There were jacks, cuda a plenty and guides were running clients into the lagoon for tarpon (unmistakeable once they jumped).

It was a good spot for shore exploration but I would go at dawn and during max tide flow if I go to this spot again. And don't leave the bug spray in the jeep if there is no wind.

A little further up at Paraguera, which ranked among my favorite places on the entire journey, the resort fishing area was a gem cut into sparse surroundings. It boasts an intricate complex of mangrove islands, cays, coves and is very close to bluewater fishing. The inside teemed with 5-6 foot long tarpon and the diving and kayaking was tops.

If I had not been in a rush to get to Culebra, I would have lingered in Paraguera for days eating fresh lobster and drinking pina coladas between 50 pound tarpon.

I ran into a couple from New Hampshire who were getting married at the cliffs of Cabo Rojo soon, checking out Paraguera. Nice couple, I wished them a happy marriage and rented a skiff.

I will get into that story in more detail later, but I jumped four tarpon in about 90 minutes and got slammed by several others. I literally pulled the fly away from anything over 60-70 pounds, choosing to fish for the 30-50 pound instead. I had to laugh about that fact but it's really foolish when you are alone on a small skiff with a 9wt to hook up with a beast of that magnitude.

Most of the tarpon were cruising along the mangroves not far from shore. The skiff allowed me to get to open water and cast into the edges like a bass fisherman. The fish would run for deep water and I had to clear the line and fight the fish to the deep side of the boat, which worked out well.

Most of my Paraguera footage is on the Camcorder, which I will have to convert to web media at a later date.

On to Guanica...

#15 ·
a few more from Porta Del Sol...

In Porta Del Sol, it's possible to get up close and personal before you make your cast... this one just rolled and it's cousin greedily consumed my shrimp fly seconds later...

Hard not to have your hands shake when you are this close! Unfortunately being alone I was not able to get any action shots when all hell breaks loose.

Some resorts were definitely couples-compatible.

Two things you need...

A JEEP...

and a BOAT...

Hey Mike -

I ran into your remote HQ...

Hey can you get the feds to fund one of these over on the crib??

This guy was awesome... $20 / hr for a great skiff. Right next to the pina colada bar, location location location!

#17 ·
Hi Juro
it looks absolutely amazing!!

I can't understand that it is in the US and that it is relatively unknown.

I am up for a trip.
I just need a couple of weeks notice and if I am not booked to do something else or it not my wife's or kids' birthday I will be there.

Pete

#20 ·
I'm sorry for being so sloppy but I'm drooling all over my keyboard.. :razz: 20bucks an hour to rent a skiff wish I found that in the keys..

Juro- That looks absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see more and in action. That permit tailing is fabulous! Oh how I wish I was there..

Snowing like crazy right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.