Fly Fishing Forum banner

The Vote on C & R

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  NrthFrk16 
#1 ·
Today the WDFW commission, in a 5-4 vote, voted against Option 1, mandatory release of wild steelhead without exception. Voting aginst the measure were commissioners Cahill, Shiazaki, Osment, Roehl and White.

Commissioner White then submitted a motion to amend Option 2, 1 a day and 10 a year, to allow a maximum of 1 per day and 5 per year. This was passed unanimously.

This was certainly not the total victory the we had hoped for but is a significant reduction in potential harvest from 2001 levels. A step in the right direction and a victory as such.

While I am disapointed in the outcome, I commend the commission for the time and effort they put forth tackling this emotional issue. By adopting the measure they did, they have moved closer to where the majority of sportsmen feel Washington should go.

As for the WSC and its supporters, they should hold their head high and take solace in knowing they forced debate on this topic when most felt the issue untouchable. We have shown that a dedicated angling public can bring about change and we will not go away nor will this issue. While we were unable to close the coffin door on sport harvest and its related management practices, it is now on life support and its future bleak indeed.

Thanks to all who dedicated the last year to this cause. It was not in vain.

Sincerely,

Duggan Harman
WSC Board President

See less See more
#2 ·
Sinktip,
It was an education going down to Olympia with you this morning. Can't tell you how proud I am of the WSC, Let's face it when we started in the cold basement of Teds Sporting Goods we had no idea we would come this far. Fish & Game being the dinasour they are just would not take us seriously. But through the hard work of the new players on the block we have made an impression that I believe will have a positive effect in how fish & Game looks at the steelhead problem.

I hope for all of you out there that suport what the WSC has done and not yet joined that you will. We will need new thoughts and some different directions to look at for awhile so new blood will be important.

Again, the board of the WSC worked harder than most of us could ever imagine and I hope you all will let them know how good of a job they did.

When the time is right we will be back on release of all wild steelhead and we will achieve our goal.

Proud member of the WSC
OC

#3 ·
Hmmm...that is politics for you. There are still some forces out there who have a lot of sway with the comission but it looks like WSC is starting to even out the playing field which is great. 10 years ago the vote would have been 10-0 not do either option and keep on killing...

Question I have is how are these guys going to enforce this? We barely have enough officers as it is on the rivers. I would like to see a fee to get a wild steelhead punchcard that could be used to enhance enforcement. Was this addressed at the meeting today?

-sean

#6 ·
I'm new to the forum so I hope you can forgive my ignorance. What is "WSC" and how does one get involved with it. I agree that the Commission is behind the times, but I think that can be expected given the selection process for the commissioners. I, too, thank those of you that put your heart and soul into trying to make a change in the regulations. That we got this change is to your credit. :)

#7 ·
The Wild Steelhead Coalition

DC-
The Wild Steelhead Coalition began in the basement of a tackle shop as the frustrations of many anglers boiled to the point that they realized they must take action....AND THAT THEY DID!!

I am not sure of the exact number of members but the last time I saw it was over 100. The WSC has had many small victories in their inaguaral year which include the finalization of the apoitment of R.P Van Gytenbeek as a Commision Member. 'Van' is a major proponet of wild steelhead release and worked his ass of to get the Steelhead Symposium a reality, to the get the vote a reality and was a major factor in yesterday's vote being as close as it was.

The WSC mission statement, BOD, trustees and membership information can be viewed at The Wild Steelhead Coalition

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.