Fly Fishing Forum banner

Coffee Bean Fly for Carp??

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  TonyCarpBoy 
#1 ·
I was watching ESPN2 this morning and they aired a segment about fly fishing for carp in Houston's storm drain system. They were using coffee bean flies -- literally a coffee bean glued to a hook -- and were catching carp in the concrete "rivers". How bizarre!

Q

#3 ·
He was using a plain old coffee bean glued to a hook. I don't think he said whether they float or sink, but it looked like he was fishing on the bottom. He did say that the scent seemed to attract them to the fly. I suppose this method could be considered to be bait fishing with a fly rod :hehe:

Q

#5 ·
That's a new one for me. I hurl realistic nymphs and get snubbed and they chuck glued on coffee beans, it ain't fair. :)

I have found that just a little puff or glob of white can often get a strike, especially in moving water. They seem to snatch up bits and test them for suitablity as food.

One technique that I tried for a few days this summer was tossing corn into the current above feeding carp until they got chummed up then chuck and duck a foam corn fly at them with a small split shot a foot above. They actually fought over the fly and would rise to take them out of anywhere in the water column.

It got too easy after a while but it was good fun for a while.

Tony

#7 ·
I would call them opportunistic, not scavengers. I watch them actively hunt very active prey like crawfish and aquatic insects all the time.

I have had good luck with a crawfish pattern and tiny (size 20) nymphs lately. They seem to eat a lot of small bugs, I was surprised to have 20 inch fish taking such small flies.

In some waters they are almost purely predators.

I have fallen in love with carp as I have started to study them and chose to try to master fly rodding for them.

It is odd to have a 6 or 7 pound fish seem small.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.