Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rip Trip Standing Rule

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  juro 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to remind all the rip trip particicpants that we will have a larger number than usual and think it is important that I mention a standing rule right off the bat that we all implimented after an earlier rip trip a couple years ago. We all agreed that if one fisherman is in a hot spot and since the current swing into the rip will not allow more than 3 or 4 line swings at a time , hot spots need to be rotated among the attendees and no one guy can stay all day in a "hot spot" swing position . Everyone will be able to swing the fy from right to left on an outgoing tide and left to right on an incoming tide. Fish are all over that shore line anyway and fish can be caught even if you are not in the swing line....BUT.... in the event positions become key... and hot spots become obvious the rule will be that once a fish is caught in a hot spot the catcher will rotate and LET THE NEXT GUY have some action. No exceptions or we as a group wll not be too happy with hoging:tsk_tsk: .... any questions or objections....I will remind every one of this and am certainly open to suggestions to make this fair to all. Forgot to say that no one polices this rule and we all expect that this is "volunteered" and we all don't expect a disorgainized firedrill so to speak.

#3 ·
I meant to post earlier but had a hell day today

This sounds quirky but is an absolutely true phenomenon in the rip that the fish concentrate on a small portion of the overall structure, actually any rip - Hedge Fence is a good example except we can't troll lengthwise on foot down at the south tip.

As John said *if* the fish do not distribute along the rip they concentrate at the point where the current flume breaks over the lee end of the bar and 20 feet can be the difference between one person hooking fish non stop to a white stripe on the back for almost everyone else.

Now 3, 5 even 10 fish is cool but the entire day is bad form and it's happened enough so we all know the scene. If (and only if) the fish concentrate below the 'breakline' then by taking turns everyone has a great day.

#4 ·
Mike to answer your question about the sweet spot. It becomes very obivious if you have fished the Rip trip before. I won't go into details but those of us who have been on the trip know of the spot.
We must do like the salmon guys an rotate this hot spot. Plenty of fish for everyone. We had a guy who did this years ago and it was very annoying and shelfish to the rest of the group.
I plan to do more exploring this time around after I get my first few fish.
I also agree that the Rip Trip is a special event for Forum members I wouldn't want to see it open to the general public . FishHawk

#6 ·
It was a lighthearted question but not from one who doesn't know what a sweet spot is.;)
I've been accused of standing in the sweet spot once or twice.:lildevl:

No need to get defensive I didn't mean to bust chops. I don't doubt for a minute that you're describing a legitimate phenomenon and I commend you all for your good sportsmenship.
Good sportsmenship happens to be a hot topic around my house what with raising 3 very athletic and competitive boys [the 4th one just learned to walk but he can catch a football pretty good]. not to mention the recent revelations of unsportsmenlike conduct of a certain coach some of the boys idolize.

One of these days I'm gonna get down there and join you in the rip. I can only hope I'll get a chance to stand in the sweetspot, at least for awhile.:cool:

#8 ·
FishHawk said:
shelfish to the rest of the group
FishHawk
That will make up for standing in the sweet spot for me - as long as there is butter and cocktail sauce :lildevl:

Mike -

I didn't mean my reply as a rebuttal but rather a chance to bring this issue into the open. In my view, this is a good discussion because it brings to light something that has been a little clumsy to present when you're already down there.

I believe this was John's intent.

#9 ·
Boy do I wish that I could be going with you guys on this trip. I have been on a least three Rip trips and I have found fish from the drop off point to the Rip each time. If you move around and are persistent ie keep a fly in the water you should have more then enough fish hit to make a great day.
Have a great time
Larry

#10 ·
Hey I know Mike and not for one minute was I defensive ...Sorry if It came off that way...I really thought it was a joke question and ment that way...Obviously Mike knows a sweet spot...and so..I thought it was a joke and he put the Devil face. I forgot to put the wink face in..I guess I should have worded it different.:) The only sweet spot I can't figure out is the ones I try to find at the Chatham Squire...

#11 ·
Forgot to say that Juro is right on when he says that it's not the subject to bring up "while" your down there....so..I thought I would do it now and it's not just my thinking but the whole groups thinking on a past trip a couple years ago... atleast 9 guys agreed....but not the 10th.:)

#12 ·
That's one of the benifits of being among friends - the comfort to speak up and make sure everybodys' on the same page.
I've taken less subtle hints from strangers on various jetties along the coast over the years. Usually they creep closer and closer till you're practically sharing your waders with them. I actually had a frustrated fisherman start throwing sticks in front of me for his golden retriever! Not being the confrontational type I moved down 100 feet or so along the shoreline. Should have seen the stampede as five guys tried to be first to get my rock. Even better was to see their faces when the fish followed me down the shore and abandoned the "Sweetspot".:tongue: :smokin:

#13 ·
Maybe Capt Keith will loan out his...

Don't-Taze-Me-Bro' attitude adjustment / behavior modification device ! :Eyecrazy:

When he's busy and running behind schedule because folks are dragging their heels, 150,000 volts and salt water provide plenty of encouragement to move along with a proper sense of urgency! :hihi:

#14 ·

Hi Guys,

I am pleased to meet you all and excited about my first rip trip. I have been a surf caster for more than 20 years, but saw all you guys on the Monomoy Flats having so much fun that I just had to add fly fishing to my repertoire. So I have been at it for 3 years now and am improving my technigue each year. I enjoyed reading all of your comments and looking at the photos from previous rip trips. It looks like a blast!

Being the "rookie" I am hoping I don't get the Jonthan Papelbon treatment that he got during his rookie year when he was made to wear a pink backpack, pink bunny ears and a pacifier in his mouth!!

On a seriouis note, I am glad that John brought up one of those unspoken "rules" concerning sharing the sweet spot. If there are any other 'rules" or "traditions" that I need to know about please let me know. Perhaps you experienced guys will be willing to share some tips with me to help me improve my knowledge of the sport. I am always open to suggestions. There is always more to learn.

I do have a question about the place and time where we meet on Sunday morning. I am coming down from New Hampshire and want to make sure I leave early enough. I am assuming Keith leaves from his regular spot below the stairs at the refuge. The last thing I read was that one of the guys, (sorry can't remember who) said something about being ready to leave by 7.

Well I am looking forward to meeting you all and really looking forward to a great day of fishing.

All the best,

Steve M.

#15 · (Edited)
Dnn't worry about tips and glad to have you with us. The only thing to worry about is Penguin's cattle prod..:hihi: Hopefully fishing will be good and there is plenty of room. Guys usually break up in groups along the shore line...but when the rip forms...which will be about mid morning mid day everyone forms a conga line along the current We will be there all day so plenty of time to talk about things. I suugested a 7am arrival at the refuge if we leave at 7:30...I will get there at 6:30 because I don't like to rush. Other guys will be there early too . It is the same place where Keith usually leaves from..at the bottom of the steps, etc. I think meeting 1/2 before we leave gives everyone time to Rig up and dress, etc. I need to collect the money before we go and that takes a little time...Naturally, if we leave at 7 you should get there around 6:30...WE leave right on time... so if you are held up you miss the ride... But if you are close, you need to call the rip Rider and let them know where you are and how far you are. We would wait but not forever. Bring what you need for a full day of fishing..food, water, first aid, sun glasses, etc. Also bring a rain jacket as it may rain in the afternoon according to current reports. I will get final times from Keith. I PM'd him last night for the time and confirmation of the cost... for each.PLEASE CHEK THE MAIN THREAD ON THIS TRIP>>THE SIGN UP THREAD>>>FOR LAST MINUTE POSTS>>TIMES...ETC> I will not use this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.