Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage Xi2 broken tip

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  quinn_canfield 
#1 ·
It happened on my last cast before heading back to NH. The day before at SM I had hit the tip twice with a clouser. After seeing what happened to Pete's rod, I immediately put the clouser in the box. This story is complicated in that the Xi2 is customized and has different guides. I called Sage and will send my rod so they can fit the blank to other section. So my question: where can I send the new blank to have the guides mounted on the tip? I did a search on line, but would prefer to get a recommendation from the guys here. I have a Colton back up but really love my Xi2. Pete...I know how you feel buddy! :(

Steve

#2 ·
Ouch!!!!

Steve, it is said that misery likes company and altho I really enjoyed our time Thursday nite and on Sat, on Monomoy, I really didn't want company in the "broken tip club"! Mine went back to TFO today and will take 14 to 28 days, what with transit time, before I can play with it. Like you, I have back-ups but there just is something about your favorite being missing that creates a void, whether you were planning on using it or not! Someone here on the Forum must know of a good rod-builder that is somewhat local to the NE. Keep in touch and as season progresses we can try to connect for a day or two.

Pete Readel

#3 ·
Steve...sorry about your rod..I feel your pain.
While I can't give a personal experience recommendation on this guy's work...I have been to his fly shop and seen the rods he has built and repaired...they look absolutely great.... but I have never had to have a rod repaired. He is about 5 miles from my home.
Google Cote's Fly Shop.....there is even a 2nd web address re rod building.
I know he builds and repairs rods, sell blanks and all sorts of related material.
His shop is in his basement. He often is at the marlboro fly show with a big booth....he brings all his stuff there in an old school bus.............so....old school bus, long hair down to his back, shop in the basement...he may be just the craftman you are looking for. :) My experience is that these are the kind of guys that are really masters at their craft......hopefully he is. May be worth a call.
Ron

#4 ·
Follow up to the TFO warranty repair on my Ticr-X. UPS'd it back to Dallas with delivery date of 6/3, confirmed by tracking number. Rod received in UP-state NY on 6/7 via USPS, Priority Mail. Cannot say enough good things about that!!!! Now to get back to Cape and see how it works. Steve I hope you can get yours repaired and be as satisfied as I am.

Pete Readel

#5 ·
I will second the suggestion to use Cote's Fly shop. He is located about 40 minutes from Marlboro, just south of Worcester.

You can also do this your self with very minimal equipment. I only use rods I have built myself. It is really quite easy. Just strip the guides off of the current section and save them for the new one when it shows up. If you want to go that route drop me a line.

Quinn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.