Fly Fishing Forum banner

GL Surf's Up Steelhead

4K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  removed_by_request 
#1 ·
Well, as you might already know I am a beachbum, and I live for flyfishing the surf for chrome cruisers in our GL region. Anyways, it won't be long till I am on the beach shooting flies to hungry, ice out browns, steelies and salmon. Well, I just wanted to share a series of patterns I made up for the GL region that I sell to a few shops and clients.

I have many pics, but here are a few. If you want the recipies, please let me know. Here is a sampler!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
more pics....

Here is the surf series patterns I use and sell to flyshops. Let me know if you want the directions or if you want me to bring them to the clave. Very realistic is the key in my patterns. Most imitate smelt, alewife, shad, and cisco.

:D

Fly plate #1 in order:

-Dan's Polar Alewiife
-Ultra Hair Clouser(perch)
-Ultra Hair Clouser(smelt)
-Surf Candy(alewife)

Attachments

#3 ·

Fly plate #2

-Dan's GL Ultra Smelt
-Dan's Razzle Dazzle Alewife
-Dan's Sparkle Smelt
-Dan's Holo Alewife

:D :rolleyes:

Attachments

#4 ·

Fly plate #3

-Dan's GL Smelt
-Dan's Flashback Smelt
-Dan's GL Alewife
-Dan's GL Puglisi Smelt(bendback)
-Dan's GL Puglisi Alewife(bendback

Can you tell I love this stuff yet?:rolleyes:

Attachments

#6 ·
LOL....surf's up

Usually they range in size from size #4 - 2/0 The largest one's are on 1/0 keel hooks that ride properly and don't snag up.

I bet some of those would be killer for saltwater!

#7 ·
Looking at them, these patterns are very similar, if not identical, to some of the ones we use for species such as stripers, bluefish, weakfish, barracuda, jacks, etc. I'm sure you'd be well stocked if you decided to venture out into the coastal waters to chase some of these fish. Great tying jobs!

#8 ·
Thank you.....

I acutally did some research on our baitfish and acutally caught some of them, then went out and bought the best materials to imitate them.

Yeah, when I am fishing Deleware Bay this summer for stripers, I think I should be ok.

#10 ·
hmmm...

In ultraclear water at rivermouths I like Dan's Holographic smelt and alewife, they reflect alot of light and are very apparent.

Sometimes surfin calls for stealth. I usually fish clear intermediate lines with flouro leaders and very realistic patterns. When fishing pierheads and deeper channels, or for what I refer to as "searching" not "seeing" I will fish spey rods, 400grain sinking lines and heavier tackle and flies such as ultra hair clousers and weighted imitations.

It all depends....:D

#15 ·
Yeah!

One place I love is where a power plant discharges in a stream close to Lake O. The bridge and outlet are full of guys trying to catch 'em on eggs when they run upstream. But if you have the gonads to wade and surf, it's neat! About a month ago, I suggested to a guy with a pontoon boat that he give it a try (good access - a large fishermen's parking lot, and you just cross a road and launch it). And it's not a long drive, either! Some places are just MADE for pontoon boats. But I don't ever see anyone using them. I do surf fish there frequently, but it is a tough casting distance as the slope is very gradual.

He did VERY well, and LOVED it! - On his first trip, he picked up 2 steelies, a brown, a coho, and a fresh (2 year old) chinook. All in half a day's fishing. Sometimes you even manage a laker. All you have to do is make sure you have a favorable and reasonably calm wind. And he commented on the convenience.

(I am now contemplating a pontoon boat for my birthday this summer! - Maybe sooner!):hehe:

BobK

#18 ·
yeah....

I sue alot of materials....angel hair, strmear hair, enrico puglisi fibers, ultra hair, etc.

I tie for a few flyshops right now.

Usually I fish anywhere in the surf. Warmwater discharges, creek mouths, pierheads, channels, harbors, etc. It's what I live for...

Keep it coming....ice out isn't that far away!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.