Fly Fishing Forum banner

Kick some bass! Early Bird Special

6K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  bigcat988 
#1 ·
Stripers are starting to spread out from their winter holdover areas in RI. Fish were reported at the West Wall, Point Judith Pond, and upper Providence River. Took 13 bass in a two hour period on an olive Clouser today (Saturday , April 7th).

Art Burton and myself will set up an impromptu chance to catch some early season bass. Many of you have been chomping at the bit, so here's your chance to jump start your season. There will not be much notice or fanfare, so keep posted. No sign-up's required. Just a causal meeting of friends.

Art Burton and I will determine the best tides, times, and date. My best guess would be Saturday or Sunday of the weekend of April, 21-22. The place to fish has not yet been determined.

#3 ·
Darn! Committed that week-end. Kenny Abrames on 21st & golf tournament on Sunday 22nd.

Things seem to be breaking out all over the place. I've been reading about a lot of activity in the Hudson River and New York Haba. I'm thinking of doing a 'reckie' of Croton Point this week-end, unless I hear there's activity down on the sound - Housy estuary, Sherwood Island, Silver Sands ...

Hey Jimmy, any thoughts for this week-end?

#7 ·
I looked in the paper on Monday Morning and read the sports headlines... -Tiger Woods captures Grand slam----Pedro stikes out 17---Capt Ray Reports hugh haul of stripers--- BC wins NCAA hockey Hockey Championship....... What a weekend in Sports.

G
#8 ·
Tide's the weekend of 21 Sat thru Sun. 22
from Newport RI

Sat. 7:08am 3.5 hgt. high tide
Low 12:45pm

Sun. 7:48am 3.6 hgt. high tide
Low 1:19pm

Real good tides for several places in mind. Fish are starting to co-operate. Released 20 2-3 lbs stripers Sunday afternoon. Out the door now to try my luck (Wed.) this late afternoon.

Art - Any thoughts on the weekend of April 21-21?

G
#10 ·
Started fishing with a sudden drop in temperature late this afternoon. Only three fish caught today. One big surprise though, one of the fish was 7 lbs. Fish that size chase herring. Could get my entire hand down his gullet. This time of year, the sun helps to stimulate the activity with warmer water. The correct tide is moving closer to sunset, reducing the number of hookups.

Have reliable reports that bass are being caught in several places with darker bottoms and shallower water. The numbers are not terrific, but the fact they are spread out in such a diverse area, makes you wonder if the beginning of the first wave have arrived. I'm sure Juro, that most of the fish I've been releasing have been holdovers. Still they're bright, plump, and clean looking. I would question the larger fish though.

In a week and a half, all the estuaries should be nursing plenty of schoolies. All signs so far point in a good directions. All you Boston metro area fly guys should have a ball.

Will keep you posted.

#11 ·
Hi All, and my good friend Capt. Ray, Will be around. I think the early arrivals are coming up the coast now. I have been so busy I haven't even got down around Omega yet. I should be set for anytime after this weekend. It looks like you got a few people interested. What do you want me to do ? Have to figure out the best place, and time to meet.

#15 ·
Kick some Bass seasonal opener will probably take place on Saturday, April 21st. We will gather at a place yet to be determined. Latest fish reports will control the location.

I will try to increase our flexibility so that we have access to other close by areas in case the fish are not cooperating or nasty wind conditions. If you miss our clandestine meeting site for some reason, you will be able to reach us on cell phone.

There is a question if Art can make it. He may or may not have to complete a task of moving some trees.

Tide's for Saturday, April 22 from Newport RI
Sat. 7:08am 3.5 hgt. high tide
Low 12:45pm

Other details will follow this weekend. Off to opening day of trout season in RI. Will camp out this Friday evening and wake up with all the wack-o. Nothing like watching a circus.

#18 ·
First time writing in. I met Juro at the show in Marlboro and sounds like you guys have it down. I'm living in central Maine just so . of the old Edwards dam. Ice is just out in the Kennebec here. Some excellent action last year below the new impoundment in Waterville/ Winslow. I'd like to hook up with you all on the 21st For my introductory trip. Where do I watch for time and locations for that one?
Thanks, Chris DeLisle, Randolph,Maine.

#19 ·
Hi Chris! Glad you stopped in.

Well, it appears the exact location hasn't been determined yet but with scouts checking almost everyday down on the Rhody coast it won't be a crap shoot. I'll defer to Capt.Ray and Art Burton to steer us right over the next few days.

Also on the following weekend Nick Curcione will be at Saltwater Edge in Newport RI so I suspect there will be a repeat on April 28th.

Then shortly thereafter the Cape will be heating up and before you know it the Spring Conclave will be upon us. Thanks to Sean Fields we will be staying at a premier locale on Nauset Inlet at great rates and with the generosity of our sponsor Capt.Bruce Peters we'll have a skiff on the inlet to run around in. The date on the Spring Clave is May 18th - 20th, by which time the whole area should be loaded with stripers.

After that things really get crazy - Monomoy, bayside flats, outside beaches, the race, North shore, Boston Harbor, then we'll be visiting you up on Popham, Reed (sp?) State Park, etc.

Welcome aboard and look forward to seeing you on the water.

#20 ·
Opening day of trout season was a blast. This tradition basically started 35 years ago by a small group of guys, now it's bigger than Woodstock (without the weed of course). Reads like a who's who of personalities, from the director of environmental management to outdoor writers of the state newspaper. Best part of the outing is the night before around the campsite. That when the kangaroo court is held. Talk about spin'in yarns!

Back to the salt scene...... On vacation this week, so Art and I will do a lot of foot work. We plan to fish the entire tide Saturday, April 21st. High tide is 7:08 am. Hopefully the water will warm up a few degrees and increase our chances. Because it's early season, we plan on investigating several areas during the different stages of the tide. For that reason, arrive on time at our first destination. Bring a cell phone if possible, especially if you're late or want to fish later in the morning. Detail will follow and be posted by Thursday.

So far there is Roop, nsvencer, NathanS, Mattb, Juro, Grego, and Chris, and a maybe from Solo? Striblue not sure of your intentions, but if you do come your welcome. Your trip will be Sunday. (Let's see if he bites at that one?)

Peter Jenkins of Saltwater Edge has graciously extended his facility as a meeting place and crossroads. Unfortunately, are fishing destinations will be 20 miles to the north of the store. We appreciate his generosity and since he lives such a short distance from some fishing locations, we wish he would join us.

#22 ·
Look guy's, I don't know the lay of the land real well on the Cape. I know where Goose Hummock is. The Canal and can find anyplace. I will be leaving Maine very early to arrive at the first meeting point. At this point I think my brother will be coming with me. If someone could give me a specific time and place for the 1st rendevous and a likely hit list of stops throughout the day I would appreciate it. A list of #'s and folks going would be cool too. Thanks, Chris.

#23 ·
Chris (04-15-2001 05:29 p.m.):
Look guy's, I don't know the lay of the land real well on the Cape. I know where Goose Hummock is. The Canal and can find anyplace. I will be leaving Maine very early to arrive at the first meeting point. At this point I think my brother will be coming with me. My cell #is 207-831-7215. If someone could give me a specific time and place for the 1st rendevous and a likely hit list of stops throughout the day I would appreciate it. A list of #'s and folks going would be cool too. Thanks, Chris.
Chris - Just in case Ray or Art didn't see this yet, the initial weekend on the 21st of April is targeted for Rhode Island, which really isn't more of a drive time-wise than the lower cape. The list of folks was included in Ray's last post, but it may change as things get closer to the date.

The following weekend, April 28th, is the date of the get-together with Nick Curcione at Saltwater Edge in Newport Rhode Island. According to the 'boss' it looks like I will be down the cape with family that weekend.

Our first scheduled conclave on Cape Cod itself is for May 18th, 19th and 20th. You are 100% welcome to attend with your brother or friends. We will be staying at a place called "Anchorage on the Cove" for approx $20 per person per night. Read Bruce's post about how nice the place is. The fish should be all over the cape by then.

Are you still planning on attending the Rhody early-bird get together next weekend?

#25 ·
I guess I mis-understood the location but R.I. is ok too provided it's not too much more seat time. I Went to H.S. in CT and used to bum around R.I. so just fill me in on the place to meet. Again some cell phone #'s would be good and a hit list of stops would also be helpful as we are coming from quite a distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.