Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hoppers - Show me yours and I'll show you mine!

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Hoppers have been devaatating on the Bow river for the past few weeks.
Friday last week, had a total of 16 fish on/in (all released) all on hopper patterns. From classics to Tripledeck Club Sandwich foamies.
So let's see some patterns with recipes and stories !

#2 ·
HopperCator

Used a a strike indicator with a dropper nymph tied to the hook bend.
Story: Developped locally by Mike Guinn who got tired of having large trout try to eat his strike indicator.... seriously. I work the fly close to the bank and hunt large snouts that I see rising but taht are not consistent risers. So far I'm 60% on the hopper and 40% on the dropper nymph.

Body: Foam strip (Orange, yellow, tan, brown) with a palmered red/brown hackle
Underwing: Moose mane
Wing: Yellow or white deer hair
Front Hackle: Two large red/brown feathers

Remember, the design is used as a strike indicator as much as an edible hopper so the fly is quite bulky, shown as a size 6

Attachments

#6 ·
Pete - Hoppers are by far my favorite insect patterns to use (second only to streamers in my heart); I will post a few pics in the upcoming days when I get a chance. Hopefully some others on the forum will post theirs, as well!

#7 ·
Pete -

I fished smaller hopper patterns #8's and 10's on the rivers along the NH / Vermont border as soon as I got my drivers license and went camping up there quite a bit in those days. One stretch of the Ammonusuc River is lined with crop fields and willows and all you have to do is drift a hopper along the willows to get trout lounging in the shade to come out and nail the big bug all day long.

Those were the days! I really have to get back up there again this fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.