Fly Fishing Forum banner

Where to go???

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  LeeG 
#1 ·
Lookin to put something together for bonefish this late summer in Bahamas or Mexico. It will just be me because the woman just started a new job and can't get time off. I need to burn some Va-ca time and wanted to know if there are lodges that caters to single fisherman? Is bonefishing still good in say the Bahamas in late summer??

#2 ·
I believe almost all the Bahamas lodges are set up to accept singles. The charge is usually more due to the fact that you're fishing single with a guide. In fact, several lodges in the Bahamas, Mexico, and Belize offer a two for one for the single rate during the late summer and fall so maybe finding another fishing partner to share the $$$ with you would be the way to go. The biggest problem is that many lodges in those areas close down during August and September because of very light demand and the fact that that time is the peak of the hurricane season. Find one that's operating, though, and there are several, and the fishing should be fine if you can avoid any tropical storms/hurricanes. This is the hottest time of the year for the flats, and often the water is simply too warm for fish during the heat of the day, so one can often arrange to head out early in the morning and in the evening, while taking a siesta during the middle of the day. While light can be a problem for spotting fish in the traditional sense during those times, it usually will be a terrific time to pursue tailing fish.

#4 ·
I normally go n ofishing trips alone.
OK it's more expensive than sharing a guide and room.
You should have no problems finding a lodge with availability.
The fishing can be awesome as JR says the early morning is the best time at that time of year you will get thunderstorms most afternoons.
It is hurricane season and you could get blown away.
Those conditions last until November.

I always seem to advertise this place but Los Roques is south of the hurricane belt and has some of the best fishing on the planet.

#5 ·
rc-colorado said:
Thanks JR SPEY...How is October for bonefishing? I could push it back to fall if the conditions would be better.
I love late October through mid-November. It is still hurricane season, but the fishing, especially the sight fishing during the day tends to be better as the waters begin to cool down. For years I'd spend two weeks at Casa Blanca in late October/early November. It is located on the southern shore of Ascension Bay. I went primarily for the permit fishing, but bonefish, some tarpon, and even snook can be taken there. Also, most of the lodges that close down for the summer reopen some time in October. I think Casa Blanca used to reopen around October 20th if memory serves me right. One other thing: The hurricane doesn't have to happen while you're there to effect your fishing. We followed Hurricane Wilma to Casa Blanca and we were effected by damage to the facilities, the enormous amount of freshwater that was dumped on the Bay, the fact that the Cancun airport was closed while we were there so we had to be completely re-routed through Belize, and the fact that the fishing was awful because the Bay had been all but dewatered during the height of the storm. I think our group caught like three permit all week after having caught thirty-six the previous year during the same time period. I've also followed Hurricane Michele during a mid-October trip to Andros Island. The Andros Town Airport had just re-opened the morning we arrived. Once again, the fishing was nowhere near as good as normal. Not to belabor this point, but I fished the Islamorada/Marathon area in the Keys several weeks after Hurricane Andrew and had outstanding fishing, especially to very large bones. If there's any way you can put at least a of couple of weeks between the storm and your arrival (and I know that can be nearly impossible) it is the way to go. I'll stand down now!

#6 ·
Hey RC!!!

Last I looked...Turneffe Island Resort had some great rates for this year...over a $1,000.00 discounted. 7 nites/6 days guided fishing for $2,300.00 (plus only a additional "single-suppliment" of $500.00" in your case!!!) Great deal for a very special place. Early to mid fall is a great time to be there!!!

#7 ·
Most of my trips to the Bahamas have been during the fall. Late October and early November. Did spend Thanksgiving on Crooked one year. Lobster and turkey for Thanksgiving. I prefer that time of year. Normally the wind is down from what it is in the spring and the flats have been sitting there all through the hurricane season with almost no one fishing them.
Wilma blew through Nassau one year when I was on Inagua and a tropical storm came over the island one night another year. The day before the tropical storm I caught my 2 largest bonefish. The day after I was lucky enough to land my first permit. The bonefishing the day before was just stupid. You could stand in one place look left and right and then just pick out the fish you wanted to target. Not in schools but scattered around you in singles or 2 or 3 fish and just sitting there. I have no idea how many fish we landed that day.
I have never been during the summer but I am thinking hard about going next month. I have been told the fishing can be very good. The temps are not as bad as they have been on the east coast this year. Early morning low tides and ocean flats would be the thing to look for I think. Cooler water flooding the flats.

#8 ·
Well looks like Grand Bahama has the best deals goin for the price. I now have talked a friend of mine into goin with me. It sounds like DIY is possible here too plus ample guides. I will rent a car for sure. Anyone have any insight on where to stay close to the fishable flats?

#9 ·
A fishing bud and me are going to be staying at the Viva Wyndham Grand Bahama 9/11-9/18. We are also renting a car. Any one have any info on a descent guide? We are hopping to mix in DIY with doing a few days guided. Can't wait hope a damn hurricane doesn't ruin our plans! Any info would be appreciated.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)

Well interesting trip. Delta lost our poles and we didn't end up getting them until three days later in our trip. We booked two guided trips out of McClain's town with Capt. Phil. "GT" (Phil's brother) was our guide. They picked us up from our hotel at Viva Wyndham and drove us to and from McClain's town on their own dime. GT was great and we caught fish, although the conditions were not the best. Because of Igor we experience some good winds and surge on the second day. The first day the water was like glass and we had a lot of fish tailing in the early morning. Price for the first day was $450 + tip, the second day Phil cut us a break for $350 + tip. What was great was that Phil let us borrow his own fly rods until we got our rods from the airline for no cost...the local people of Grand Bahama are some of the friendliest people in the world. Other than having our poles delayed for a few days and getting a nice laceration from a yellow stingray while snorkeling (seven stitches and lots of pain) it was a great trip. Here is Phil's website.

(non-sponsor link removed - please read Flyfishing FORUM agreement all members have confirmed)

As far as DIY we tried some. Our resort was near Banana Bay Restaurant just east of Fortuna Beach. There is a good flat right our in front of the restaurant. One morning we checked it out and just west of the restaurant I found a large patch of turtle grass and found tailing bones all over it early in the morning. I hooked up twice but didn't get the hook set. We heard that there were several places, one near Pelican Point, just west of McClain's town on the southeast end of the island that are pretty good for beach fishing as well. We checked out Paradise Cove and Crystal Beach on the West end, it looked real good but we didn't run into any fish although there was another fly fisherman there who said he seen several about an hour before we showed up.

#12 ·
Not a bad recommendation in the bunch. Belize is awesome and Turneffe at that price is a great deal. I've only fished out oin Glover's Reef but the fishing in special there. Friends swear by Los Roques and their location protects them quite a bit from the seasonal issues you could tun into in the Bahamas and Mexico. Enjoy the vacation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.