Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly line dressing?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 ·
There is a common household kitchen product that acts like a good lubricator as fly line dressing. A guide I used once keyed me on this secret but I can't remember his words of advice. Anyone out there know what I'm talking about? Maybe it was for cleaning line... I thought he mentioned it was good for lubrication.

#5 ·
Scientific Anglers fly line dressing is the best I have found. It's expensive over here in the UK, about £12.00 if I remember rightly (we are not known as "Rip Off Britain" for nothing) you only need two drops on a soft cloth and the line shoots for miles.

Malcolm

#6 ·
I use a line winder and a cloth with hot water for my lines to get any salt off. I then use the Renew line cleaner tool to apply their cleaner/dressing. After a fresh application the line usually is slick enough to slip through your hands on the haul. I believe it was only about 12 bucks for the tool and another 4-5 for the solution which lasts a while. I think if you read the "owners manual" that comes with the new lines they would only reccomend hot water and mild soap as they each have their own proprietary coatings.

Sean

#8 ·
armorall

im no expert and armorall will not disclose their active ingredient for there slickness. yes armoral can degrade fly lines. but in my experience and others before me who told me of this that the process is much slower than usual offenders such as retained salt cystals, uv light, tip top friction, and the occasional studded wader boot compression. most flylines loose there slickness after 2-3 seasons of hard use and most people who fish as much as i and spend as much as i to outfit and travel to our quarry a new line every two or three years is a drop in the bucket. hence armoral has overall lil effect on this cycle. fwiw this stuff is super slick and with the new toweletts it is wicked easy to use. ive used it for 3-4 years now without any noticable shortcomings. my only question that remains is the smell of the stuff. im not sure if i can identify if fish repel it but it is an unanswered possibility. but i still use it regularly and i still catch enough fish to keep the obsession going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.