Fly Fishing Forum banner

guide wrapping

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Eric Golden 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I got a tip on how to apply guides to the rod prior to wrapping. The tip was to apply Duco cement to the bottom foot or feet of the guide and position the guide on the rod. The glue dries fairly quickly, and it is very easy to wrap the guides in this fashion. Previously I had been wrapping thin strips of tape, and constantly had problems with the guides moving before I was finished wrapping. I hope this tip is helpful for a few members. It cut my rod wrapping time in half.
All the best,
Eric

#4 ·
Hi Domenic,
I have heard of using those rubber bands. I expect that is a very good way to go. I do like the Duco cement because I can place the guide on the rod, and once the glue hardens that guide will not easily shift it's position, and If I do want to move the guide it will come off with a light tug, and the old glue scrapes off of both the rod and the guide with no difficulty. I guess it's a question of whatever turns you on. I think I will give the rubber bands a try just to see which I like better.
All the best,
Eric

#5 ·
You can also use small bands of surgical tubing to hold the guides on the rod. Just use surgical tubing that is smaller than the blank diameter at the place you are going to ue to hold a guide until it is wrapped. Once the guide foot is partially wrapped, simply cut the surgical tubing off the guide's foot and finish the wrap.

I've been using this method for over 22 years. I learned it from a Dale Clemens book on rod building. I used tape prior to learning about the surgical tubing, now I use the surgical tubing because it hold the guide more securely and is easier to remove from the partially wrapped guide. Also, surgical tubing if pretty darn cheap and comes in a pretty big range of sizes.

#6 ·
I use Flex Coat Guide Foot Adhesive.It works great,especially on single foot guides.It also acts as an underwrap,protecting the blank a little.I attach the guides with this and then a small,thin pc of masking tape,just to ensure that it doesn't get knocked off.

#7 ·
Hi to all,
I didn't expect to be inundated with replies. I expect that these are all good solutions to the problem. In the world of furniture making, which is my trade, I like to seek not only a viable solution, but one that is fast also. Thus using glue, and tape is a bit redundant. I expect the guide foot adhesive is much the same as the Duco cement.The surgical tubing sounds like a very good solution, I expect one has to cut the tubing into thin little circles while the dental rubber bands are already cut into thin little circles. Juro, if you get to try my method, I would like to hear how you manage with it. I am going to try some of the suggestions that have popped up here, and maybe with the help of all of us we will come up with some of the better solutions. A word to the wise though. "Lets not beat this to death."
Best wishes, and thank you all for your replies, and interest.
Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.