Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bonefish Dominicana- question from Poland

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Hi!
I'm from Poland in Europe. For a few weeks I'll be on the trip at Dominicana.
I'm freshwater flyfisher I catch (and realise) mostly nice graylings and brown trouts. But I have salwater equipment. I dream about walking on beach in water and try to catch a bonefish- it's so similar to grayling but much bigger. No flyfishing from boat only walkin' in warm water like there is no in Europe. I mean Punta Cana or Puerto Plata. Could you advice me anything? Is sense to take a flyrod with me? Are there bonefishes? I'm experienced freshwater flyfisher but totaly novice at saltwater flyfishing so every advice is wellcome.
Thanks and many greetings from Poland :)
Konrad

#2 ·
Hi Konrad

I assume you a refering to the Dominican Replublic in the Carribean?

I have not fished there personally, but if you do a search on "Google" or "Yahoo" - enter the words....

"dominican republic bonefish"

.....you will find a lot of useful references.

It looks like you should definitely take your saltwater fly-fishing gear!

Good luck and please post a report with pictures when you get back! :smokin:

#4 ·
bonefish from the beach

konrad,

all I have heard from friends and people who have been there has been very disappointing.

the DomRep as so many other "third world countries" have exploited their resources in the sea to death just to make a living. it seems there are some jacks if you hire a boat but then again I havent heard of any experienced guides who could take you out.

as you are looking for bonefishing from the beach without the big expense for a guide there is very little left I am afraid that is affordable.

I am not a big bonefish expert (being from Germany) but I have read a lot as I am looking for affordable do-it-yourself bonefishing all the time too.

the best option it seems are the Bahamas and Los Roques in Venezuela with Los Roques being the cheapest option. I'll be there next year myself...

In the DomRep it is mighty cheap to make an all-inclusive holiday but in the end if you are looking for good fishing it wont be worth it.

#5 ·
canerod said:
the DomRep as so many other "third world countries" have exploited their resources in the sea to death just to make a living.
True, in part. I will not discuss world economycs here. All I have to say to this is that generalyzing is not the smart thing to do. I'm mexican, educated and decent (believe it or not), I have lived in the USA and Belize, traveled a lot, fished some places, and seen quite a few things on the planet. My experience? There is no better fishing in the world than in 3rd world countries. Let me tell you one thing, I don't know about the Dominican Republic because I've never been there, but my best fishing days have been in Belize and the Yucatan peninsula, before I got this fly fishing illness. Caught over 100 bonefish and permit on some days, wading in a completely lonely island, all by myself.

Big game? Hell yea, in 1991, Manzanillo Mexico, 2 sailfish over 100 pounds and 3 meters long in less than two hours. Tarpon: I invite you to come over to Veracruz Mex just to SEE the 200 (yes, 200) pound tarpon in the Tecolutla river. Still wonder if you can find that size or even close, near Florida.

Largemouth bass? I bet you my right casting arm the next world record is now swimming somewhere in a northern mexican dam, El Salto, Huites or probably Aguamilpa.

I think we've all seen crowded waters in the 1st world, where it's next to impossible to cast. The difference is that in the 3rd world, people fish because they're hungry. :(

#6 ·
Well said fly-rod!

Having fished in a few so called "third world" countries myself including the Carribean nations and the republic of Kiribati (Christmas Island), I can say that they will always be my first choice when looking at a fly-fishing destination. In Mexico the Bahamas and Kiribati I have witnessed a very strong appreciation for the value of recreational fisheries. In many ways they do a better job of controling commercial exploitation of the resource than we do in the USA - and as you correctly state, these people fish because for many it is their only source of protein!

I myself have not fished La Republica Dominicana but I would never pass up the chance to fish any Carribean location given the opportunity. In tropical waters you just never know what's going to come along and eat your fly :smokin:

#7 ·
"In tropical waters you just never know what's going to come along and eat your fly"
That's why I will take my equipemnt! I read all yours posts also my neighbour from Germany :) but I think it's worth take a fly rod hope won't be disapionted.

#9 ·
Finally- Cuba

Hi!
As I promised I'm writting.
Finally I was in Cuba with my wife near Trinidad. Flyfishing was one of my many things I did there. So at first I want to mention that was my first time in saltwater and also my fist flight overseas. But I'm very glad I took my rod with me. After several days experience I made a fly on which I cought some kinds of fishes not big- till 3lbs. Sorry I even don't know their names... but in this place there were not bonefishes.
Two incidents was amazing form me:
1. When I cought one fish about 2 lbs second one cut away her body and I pull out still living head only... It was barracuda for sure. I saw barracudas there.
2. One day before my leaving I woke up early and went fishing. 1 hour and nothing so I decided to go in new place. I found very nice looking place and after several throws I see big fish taking my fly and hearing music of my reel... I have never seen such big fish on my life, of course with my trout equipment (class 5 :)) I had no chance. The fish took my all line and conection with backing lets down and I left with backing no line and quacky hands but happy my rod is in one piece.(by the way finally I left the rod to my new cuban friend for free of course becuse he can buy nothing from this equpment- will be usefull for his trout lake- Sasa)It wasn't for sure barracuda and shark but I don't know what was it. Seeing now pictures on net it could be "jack" in my opinon.
On that I finshed my fishing on Cuba. I promised myself I come back next year to "talk" with this fish but now with good equipment and some konwledge. One thing I regret- I couldn't catch a barracuda. I didn't know how on how fly... So I'm starting now to find a rod and some books of saltwater flyfishing and flytying. Of course all from US becouse here are not available. Maybe some of you have unnecessary saltwater flyfishing magazines and want to sell to novice like me?
Greetings to all from Poland!
Konrad

#10 ·
Konrad

Thanks for the great report from Cuba!

Barracuda and big jacks on the trout rod - now that is Extreme :D

I'll bet your Cuban friend was very grateful for the present of the rod. :smokin:

Barracuda is a great fly rod target - they make great acrobatic jumps when they are hooked but their teeth asre razor-sharp you need to use a short wire bite-tippet.

For a general introduction to saltwater flyfishing I think one of the best books out there is Lefty Kreh's "Fly Fishing in Saltwater". You should be able to find it online at Amazon etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.