Fly Fishing Forum banner

Monomoy Refuge Tour 08

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Warren 
#1 ·
As a prelude to Big Brother day on Sunday July 13, a few of us went out on Saturday to scout the area in Yaks with the intention of stopping at the area of South Monomoy known as Minimoy.
Fishhawk, Sean Juan, CSJ60 & myself embarked from the Morris Island Causeway at 0630 or so and paddled out to the western flats of North Monomoy Island at near high tide. We did not see any fish up in the flats & very little bait. When we arrived at Minimoy we fished for 45 mins or so with no success. We decided to travel down to the midway point of South Monomoy and see how things went there. Along the way we trolled some flies & got into some surfacing Bluefish. We kept going to the lighthouse and beyond finally beaching at the Rip Ryder drop off point.

We then walked south, past all the beach goers that had landed and anchored for the day . We stopped at the Rip and fished for two hours. A handful of schoolie stripers were landed and several nice blues. We headed back for the yaks at 2:30 or so and made the arduous 3 hour 15 Min paddle back to the causeway and arrived at 7 PM.

A good time was had by all, It was a long day and we were some kind of tired. But in the end we all felt we had accomplished something worth doing. The day was perfect for the trip. Little wind until late in the day and calm seas. Many people were out along South Monomoy in power boats and were very well behaved. There were probably 8 to ten boats anchored along the beach all enjoying the sand, sun & beauty that is South Monomoy. We saw some refuge folks out in one of the closed areas, and later found out it was Mike Brady, the refuge manager & a team out banding birds. He told me he had seen us & wondered who the crazy guys in yaks were:D Adrian, who was out in a boat, told us he saw us out there as well, but did not know who were were.

I was a little sore the next morning when I woke up. Nothing a Gallon of Larry's PX coffee & a couple of Alieve did not fix.

Will I do it again? If the conditions are perfect & the opportunity presents itself again, You Bet!.
But in reality Capt'n Keith's Twin Yamaha's are really the way to go when it comes to fishing the rip.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well we did it.

The Forum Navy made the Rip Trip.:D Had a great time. The fishing was in it's summer mode. On the way to the Rip we hit pods of fighting blue fish. They were a blast to catch.
I would do it again but launch from Stage Harbor as it would cut the paddling time down. FishHawk

#3 ·
Yes, I was out with Big Dave and we wondered who those "crazies" were paddling all the way down there :hihi:

I guessed there might be forum folks at the tip since I though I recognized the Fishawk but didn't really make the connection to the yaks until I ran into Warren and Sean yesterday.

Congratulations guys - that is indeed an epic journey :smokin:

#4 ·
Sounds like it was agreat adventure and fun. I was heading back from offshore and we stopped at Stone horse shoal which is on the east side of the tip and the boats were packed in. In the distance on the corner I saw a lot of boats at the rip around 2 pm. Wish we headed up the west side so I could have seen the yak floatilla.

#5 ·
Warren et al, you did the trip that I commend you for, since I'm reticent about doing that trip in a kayak. I was down there last month (walked from N. Monomoy) and it was pretty good in the channels at the end of the outgoing. Me thinks that with the summer doldrums upon us, early, late. night times could be epic.

My hat is off to FishHawk for staying up with the young pups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.