Fly Fishing Forum banner

Have any of you ever gone to Canada to flyfish?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  p.damen 
#1 ·
If so, was the trip worthwhile and do you have any outfitters to recommend?????

I'm looking into a rainbow trip this summer in either Alberta or British Columbia. Any comments would be helpful!!!!!

#2 ·
You are in luck!

For starters I recommend Gerry Frederick who is one of our sponsors from the Canadian Rockies. Sorry I haven't had time to put together the Canadian Rockies page yet but the work has begun, in the mean time you can get everything you need directly from his website by clicking HERE. Please let Gerry know where you heard about his Rocky Mountain paradise.

One of our esteemed gold members Pete Laviolette is a resident of Calgary and is a great guy to contact for this adventure. In fact, you might consider entering the raffle for a float trip of a lifetime with him on the Bow and Elk. Click HERE for more details.

If you're talkin' steelhead rainbows, the membership a little to the west of there includes some of the most hardcore steelhead afficionados in the pacific northwest. A dry line, a skating fly, and a little patience would lead to an unforgettable experience in steelhead country.

So tell us more about your trip plans?

#3 ·
I'm really interested in fishing for wild rainbows in a small-stream setting, I don't need big fish, just lots of dry-fly action in the waters where rainbows originated.

I know that basically all the rainbows east of the Rockies were introduced at one time or another, including Alberta, and I'd like to get back to where they came from.

Alberta also holds some interest for me because you can get into some Arctic Grayling and Bull Trout in the east slopes of the Rockies.

Really, I'm not looking for a big drift trip on the Bow, or any crowds whatsoever. I'm looking for a one-man show who really knows the waters, whether in BC or Alberta.

#5 ·
I am intrigued by your mission to find "trout where they originated". From the west slopes to the sea, there is a vast range of possibilities across the northwest from the Aleutians to Illiamna to Prince Rupert to the BC Interior.

The question is, did rainbows come before steelhead or are rainbows really landlocked steelhead like their atlantic cousins? Perhaps atlantic salmon were freshwater species that ventured to sea over time, thus they are really just a brave trout?

Some of the best native rainbow fishing I've done has been above the dams on the Elwha, but we know how that came about. In the upper stretches of most Puget Sound and Columbia tribs you find resident rainbows of natural origin. What Washington had in anadromous wealth it lacked in rainbows that hung around in a river that had access to sea.

BC's famous Kamloops trout is at the top of the list for native rainbows, but most are caught in stillwaters from what my friends who pursue them have told me. Of course I am sure any rivers in Kamloops country are thrilling to fish.

The native strains in Northern Cal, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, BC, and Alaska all offer a chance for such an angling experience of which BC and Alaska are going to be the least adulterated.

I'm sure we'll hear from the PNW gang when the time zone comes 'round...

#6 ·
Interesting question(s). Non-science here but I suspect the 'rainbow' came first .... then a few big floods and you had sea run rainbow (aka to become steelhead). Suspect why the rainbow population is higher in most river is the lack of natural feed to sustain any real populations.

From this I must except the Rogue (upper part anyway). Cadis cases by the gajillions, blue wing hatchs, Salmon fly, etc., and etc. and the native population of rainbow is pretty poor in my opinion. Could never figure that one out.

Maybe if it's under 3 pounds I just don't know how to fish for it.
Fred

#7 ·
WVflycaster (04-21-2001 10:12 p.m.):
If so, was the trip worthwhile and do you have any outfitters to recommend?????

I'm looking into a rainbow trip this summer in either Alberta or British Columbia. Any comments would be helpful!!!!!
WVflycaster----- To respond to your question with any degree of detail would require more space and time than would be normally aviable to any board member. Either province will provide you with some magnificient fishing on any given day in surroundings that can not be matched in North America.
Most space is given to our still water fisherey as that is where the largest fish are usually reported but we do have tremendous river fishing but not in the style of eastern rivers and streams.
One of the finest rivers in the Vancouver BC. area is totally catch and release and only open from July to October.
You will never find a more senic venue than the Skagit river in South Western BC. Not Big fish but great fishing.
The two leeds Juro gave Calgary Alberta and Cranbrook BC.will give you more options than any Flyfisher could fullfil in one season.
I hope you come and enjoy the hospitality of the Canadian West which you will Find this extends to Washington and Oregon.
Tight Lines
saltRon

#8 ·
Thanks alot for the e-mail FrenchCreek, I will definitely contact the folks that you recommended for more information. The Bow holds some interest for me, of course, but I have heard that it can be relatively crowded by Alberta standards. I have also heard about the Elk R., but is it not mostly Cuttthroats? Not that I'm generally biased as to what takes my fly!

I am also investigating a small outfit in central BC, near Prince George, called Northern Rainbows. I found them on the internet and what they offer sounds intriguing.
I don't know if they've been around very long though.

I'll let you all know what I end up doing for the summer. According to Northern Rainbows, the season on their streams only opens July 1st, and I was thinking about going well before that.

Best regards, and I hope you all have a wonderful spring fishing your home waters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.