Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tube Flies

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  smallmouth 
#1 ·
Hi fellows,

I noticed that a lot of you tie and use tube flies. I've just begun to experiment with the concept and have used some tube flies in my warmwater fishing. I was using offset bait hooks as I had seen recommended on one of the Alaskan Steelhead sites. Sometimes I left the hook loose and sometimes I used little sections of plastic tubing to fix the hook in position. I found the flies effective but I missed a lot of hook-ups. I suspect that the offset in the hook may be responsible for the high percentage of missed strikes. What do you fellows suggest? I'm ready to tie up a batch of flies for winter steelhead here in Southern Ontario.
Thanks,
Don

#2 ·
Don, I suspect you're more than right ..

that the 'problem' was the off-set nature of the hook. Most tube fly's are rigged with a short shank, ring eye hook. For larger fish either a #4 or # 2 3X. I'm not sure, but I suspect that either Aaron or Redshack could get these in say a size 6 or 8 for more of a 'small fish-small fly' rig.

Drop them a PM.
fae

#3 ·
Tiemco 105

is offset and one of the more popular tube fly hooks in this part of the world, so I suspect that the offset is not Don's problem with hooking. Were the hooks up or down eye? That could cause a funny angle for the hook to the tube. Were you using a hook holder?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.