Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cape Cod Guides

4K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  jimS 
#1 ·
Please support our sponsors who are on this board and offer guide service. I have some opinions on other guides particularly on the cape. So if you need advise or opinions on others who are not listed herein, please contact by e-mail or PM and I will share my thoughts on abilities , personalities and flexibilities.

#2 ·
John, Thank's for the offer to both support our sponsors and also provide some "local" knowledge. I for one, rely on local expertise to best select a guide that "fits" my expectations. Your offer, with no vested interest in the shop/guide/outfitter is invaluable.

#5 ·
Related question:

I guide on Cape Cod, have been for several years. In fact more and more since my dot-com dayjob dried up. I was thinking about becoming a Forum sponsor in order to be able to have a banner. Would that be too weird or would everyone be OK with that?

#6 ·
I hope this does not sound too commercial but have a guide service and I am a forum sponser(and Juro built the website) and I would simply like to say I would be more than happy to have any prospective client give me a call and just discuss what they are looking for in their day on the water. In other words PLEASE feel free to "interview" me.

Thanks,
Capt. Dave Sanderson
781-864-5479
www.stripstrike.com

PS- North side flats on fire! Big fish Tuesday, schoolie fest today.

#7 · (Edited)
Juro...you were on the top of my list.... aside from the sponsors there is George Ryan, the guys at Orvis, Harry(Harry is a sponsor)..Tony S. In Orleans, to name a few, Dan Marini and Randy Jones as well. There are also combo shore and boat guys. I will be doing a list and include those I know whom I would recommend. I will keep to PM's and e-mails anyway on specifics. Maturity level is also important apart from the usual knowlege that goes with it. There is one I will not recommend and you can e-mail me on that with reasons. Also.If anyone can share information on some unknown guys who are good...good all around with out other fishing commercial interests please let me know .I want to do a run down and post these after I get more feed back and do an article to submit to some of the Magazine connections I have made this year.

#8 · (Edited)
edavids.. as a Sponsor I am glad you have posted and your thoughts are always welcome. I wanted to seek out some who are also not sponsors. There are a lot of articles on the good points and bad points of guides..but I would like to do Cape Cod and search out the cream...not just from my point of view , but from others as well. Cost is also a factor. So it's not just finding the fish but the total experience. Fo example...No guide is worth a $1000 (plus or Minus) and trying to sell things is also a no no in my book...Diversity and flexability are things to consider... things like that should be known BEFORE someone is signed up..So, If anyone on the Forum wants to help me with this I think it would be worth while. Afterall the consumer should participate and we just don't have this type of study. More to come.....Remember , it's just fishing, not some philosophical out of body experience.

#9 · (Edited)
Well that was fast..JFbasser just sent me a recommendation. I have asked him to get more info on the guy...but I have not heard about this guide... That;s what i am looking for...so this process should be good. The sponsors will be part of this study and will also be referenced on the Forum. I may even get opinions from the other boards as well. This will help the public, the guides and the Forum.

#10 · (Edited)
John...I'm looking for some good olde fashioned New England F.R.S.

Fear...Ridicule...Sarchasm...
And some solid ABUSE early in the morning to set the tone for a long day under a sadomosachistic guide's wing (foot)...

Any suggestions?!:devil:

#11 ·
Re: John...I'm looking for some good olde fashioned New England F.R.S.

Hell...Pete...I can do that.

Name the time and place.

I promise to bring your favorite whip. :eek:

Penguin said:
Fear...Ridicule...Sarchasm...
And some solid ABUSE early in the morning to set the tone for a long day under a sadomosachistic guide's wing (foot)...

Any suggestions?!:devil:

#18 ·
I am all for Juro putting up a banner. He certainly has paid his dues and I appreciated his efforts with the Big Brothers, says alot about him. Stiblue mentioned George with Fishing the Cape. I have used George Ryan, with Fishing the Cape, and found him to be excellent, also.
Tight lines
DK

#19 ·
Thanks guys, but any such agreement would require payment or barter just like anyone else. We have no other shore guides on board in the area so I am not competing with anyone who is currently a sponsor.

Dave Pearson and I work together for groups of 4 or more and share over-bookings and insights so we would split the tab, no worries it's an easy rate to cover even for fishing bums.

Our ads are too cheap! :devil:

#21 ·
So perhaps we could do an auction for four people to split, all proceeds go to the forum. Dave and I draw straws to see who we take and there is a two-fly ante from each participant including Dave and I in the pot for the biggest fish from the four participants (of course Dave and I do not fish). So someone gets a dozen flies for getting lucky. That way the outing is cheap for all and it raises the fund raising to the full requirement for a 'real' sponsorship fee.

#26 ·
Help

Pete;
I've fished with Mark, Mike, Seuss, and Pete but forgot about Shirley. If we can talk her into swapping the heels for boat shoes, what are the odds on taking her out on the boat? Keeping in mind that she doesn't fly fish, she is low maint. with spinning gear. That and every time you call you seem to spend more time talking to my sons mother than me so I figured you should put a face to the voice. I've experienced your brand of hospitality before so the only way we could pull this off is if we can take you all to dinner. Your choice. Jim and Shirl..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.