Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dan's GL speybox

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  removed_by_request 
#1 ·
Here is my box of spey flies I use in the Great Lakes. Most of the time I am nymphing, so my box isn't loaded by any means. Check it out.:D

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
BobK and MJYP

If you have so many great purple flys please post them up to the Steelhead and Salmon archive and share with your FFF colleagues. I see none from either of your fly walletts there now.

Of course that is optional. I suppose if I ran into you on the river you may not share information with me either. Thats OK though I know how to deal with that situation. :D

Actually I never ask for information on the river, just peace and solitude as much as possible.

You can always email me with some of your purple patterns if you do not want to disclose to our world wide audience.

PM Out

G
#5 · (Edited)
Look at Sheweys book, many purple ones in there, also purple bunny leech has been around for years. Relook at my post, its Bob B. (aka Silver Doctor) not BobK.

Seem to recall posts from you many times about your secret nymph pattern. Come to the clave in April, you can gladly look in my fly boxes.

#6 ·
Yeah, and besides......

Yeah, I agree with mjyp, and besides, I have even SHARED some of my flies with gentlemen who asked me what I was using on the stream when they couldn't connect. "WE AIN'T ALL SECRETIVE, YOU KNOW"!

Others have helped me when I started out - spread the wealth! I particularly remember one young guide, on his day off, who took me under his wing, gave me half a dozen good flies to use, pointed out the best lies in that section of river, and we spent some pleasant time fishing together BSing on the way back to the cars. He didn't want anything, either, except a light for his cigarette, as he ran out of matches.

BobK

#9 ·
Your going to make me wait that long ?

I thought we were FFF colleagues.

You could just email me with a couple, if you want and I assure you I will maintain their secrecy. I can keep a secret. I have had to bear those types of burdens through out my career.

Think about it, let me know.

PM Out

G
#10 · (Edited)
Not a secret, you are the secret squirrel fly pattern holder, I remember you posting about your secret patterns many times.(so give it up fly spy)

Please do not compare me to you, my excuse is laziness, your proclaimed lack of posting secret patterms is done under the blanket secrecy.

#11 ·
There are no "secret" flies

Right on, mjyp. Every time someone comes up with a "secret" pattern which works unfailingly, IT FLOPS! Yeah, it may work well for a trip, maybe two, or a whole season at most. But fish are fickle, and next trip or season, best case, another "secret" pattern is required.

Me? I have no secret patterns - just a reliable mix of the usual patterns that work most of the time. And most guys that have secret patterns will look in the next guy's fly box and wonder how his "secret" pattern got stolen and improved on!:hehe: :hehe:

BobK

#12 ·
I think the "secret fly" thing may have some association to the great lakes. I had a friend from Montana come up last fall and I had a batch of bugs tied up for him to use while he was here. He started picking through them and saying "hey, that's cool"..."I haven't seen that before..." He was looking at patterns that I would have considered "secret". On his way out he chuckled and tossed me a "secret montana fly".........a black bugger.:rolleyes: :hehe:

The most important relationship between an angler and his fly is that he has to have faith that it will get the job done. If that means believing that no one else has fished his fly than so be it...... Faith...thats the key.

LR

G
#13 ·
Confidence is the key my friend. You also need faith, but without confidence in your method you will not fish as keen as you should.

I have seen 20# Skamania caught on pieces of hot dogs(go figure). Why?

Because the guy using them was confident that it would work. He told me it always worked for him and never failed, it probably still does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.