Fly Fishing Forum banner

Best flats shirt?

42K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bonefishdick 
#1 ·
OK I've been thru dozens of flats shirts and although I haven't found the ultimate I've been happy with several designs.

Lately I've been most pleased with the Woolrich Men's Stillwater 3XDRY Fishing Shirt which was discontinued, and now looking for your feedback as it's getting pretty tattered.

Fair warning - I appreciate your suggestions, and if I pick things apart its because I am picky, not a snob :)

#5 ·
Sun Screen Stains on the collar

Sun Screen ruins many a shirt. That being said, it beats skin cancer which I have done once and was no picnic.

I still use sun screen but now I use a Buff that I just pull down over my head to keep around my neck and protect the collar.

I have found they are almost cooler in many instances. Even when I wore sun screen on the back of my neck the sun beating on it still did get hot. Don't get that with a Buff.

The other big advantage of the Buff aside from the protection factor is it can become an instant Insect barrier when needed.

I often wondered what always disintegrated the temples of my glasses. It tool a while for the light to dawn but the bug juice will do to glasses what it will do to a fly line.

#6 ·
Don't fish the salt, 4 hours hard drive away. But here on the Upper Rouge River the afternoon temps will be in the mid 80's to mid-90's. Couple of weeks back the top ends were in the low 100's.

Wet wading with the two hander and wallet, et. al. in the car. Snowbee shirt on, and a LL Bean set of 'nylon' pants. Over heated? Just put the rod aside, and go flat in the river to pull down your body heat.

Will the body flop put off the fish? I couldn't care less. Sandy, my yellow lab, is flaked out right beside me. Husky, ...... "YOU TWO HAVE TO BE KIDDING???" :eek:

His 'bath on the beach' is a gallon bucket of water ... and after the first you have to chase him down.

And he needs one at the moment. Flaked out next to my desk and I'm doing a 'sniff-sniff.':eek:

fae

#7 ·
I know what you mean about the sunblock... my white ex officios look like I have permanent ring around the collar :)

Fred, my dog was an excellent fishing dog as well. His dad was a police shepherd and mom a golden. I trained him to lay down when I pulled the line out against the drag, and ok to get up when I reeled up.

People at the steelhead pool would cringe when I came to the bank with Cody, thinking oh crap there goes the fishing. He would heel like my shadow, then I would pull the line out and he would oblige. I would work through the run, then when I reeled up he would jump up tail wagging. Other anglers couldn't believe it :)

I'd take him down to the boat launch for a reward swim. Great dog, I miss him.

#8 ·
Flats Shirt

Wondering if you ever found a flats shirt to replace old faithful.

I ordered a new shirt from Aqua Designs which should be good for the flats. It is sort of a camo pattern and the quality seems good. The proof in the pudding will come in the it's actual use. Can't always judge a book by it's cover, but it seems very comfortable and fits well, hopefully it breaths well.

Got mine on e-bay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.