Fly Fishing Forum banner

Easy one - Yakking Ipswich

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I usually keep this favorite little beach of mine quiet but when considering all the possible yak scenarios this one is a no brainer...

Launch at Pavillion, any tide will do as long as it's played right:

Incoming - ride it up inside Ipswich, Plum Island Sound

Outgoing - ride down to Crane's or across to Sandy Pt.

Timing should be around the turn so that you get some assistance returning, heading east on bottom of the ebb and returning with the incoming surge could bring some surf with it especially if there is wind.

I would start with a top of the tide push up inside the river or sound and ride the ebb back down to the landing for a first trial. I've fished both with great success over the last few years this time of year.

Another adventure would be to leave a spot rig at Essex, run with a buddy down the ebb and work Cranes, the bar, and continue down to the Essex River inlet, paddle inside for the flood over the shoals (sight fishing) and then have that beer and steamer bucket at Woodmans using the spot rig to run back to get the other vehicle at Pavillion.

Good solid day of fishing there, and promises to offer an exhilarating experience as well as a few good fish.

See less See more
#3 ·
Juro... I'll do that... live semi-north shore... maybe bring the yak home with me at the end of August and try up there during Sept and October....Noooo....don't start talking about the fall yet... because after the fall is...ohhhh, But I will plan on something like that IF Terry will share???

#4 ·
The fall run on the north shore last year blew away Rhody. I could launch my boat at the Ipswich ramp and motor down to Pavillion and be of assitance (that's if it's not the week I'll be at the castle in Conemara, Ireland with the Salmon and gillie on the grounds :))

Lefty

#6 ·
Sounds good to me. One question for Juro though. With al this talk of yakking, are you planning on getting one? ;-)

#7 ·
With any current situation I am golden in my w/w pontoon raft, with any need to go against the current I am screwed. Yes, I am definitely thinking of getting a proper yak but I'm kind of enjoying the mileage I'm getting out of a river raft around here too.

I really like the inflatable Aire yaks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.