Fly Fishing Forum banner

Peeete's Weedless Welded Pheathered Phuzzie Notion...

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Peeete's Weedless Welded Sand Lance...

Happy D.A.C. [Day After Christmas] and a Bodacious Boxing Day!

Wicked winter weather has driven me to das Bunker...

Sometimes good things happen...
Bug-Bond meets Sand Lance...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Great Fly... and I see that you are "shingling "the feathers, which is exactly at same concept as I had done several years ago with the Feather brain flies. I called it glueing the feathers. I did cover the head with epoxy and did not use the latest bonding material.. I did use a spreader corsair base.. Back in 2003 I think, the fly was picked up by Scott Leon, The editor of FFSW, though a friend, Jay Horton, who published it in the "Tyers bench" in "Fly Fishing In Salt Waters" magazine. Bob Popovics was a big supporter and both Leon and him were looking at it from the concept of glueing feathers to the shank to do away with the "beak" like look in tying the feathers in,of all other bait fish flies...It also gave a more realistic body from below and above views....The spreader was used depending on the fly size...The concept has been later picked up in certain bonefish flies.......Great Job, as usual, Pete.

Attachments

#4 ·
a Gnarly Gnu Year to ALL!

'Same idea and phoundation but with phur and more conventional tying methods...

'tying weather...
"global warming"?!...

#6 · (Edited)
Looks pretty Good Pete. Is the hair tied in or is the hair clumped and secured with that bonding stuff? I tried that with the epoxy and the hair fell out after only a short period of time in the salt. The epoxy was not right for that so the hairs had to be tied in first. This new bonding maybe the answer.I will have to do some FB's with the new bonding. Here are three which I had done copying some Carrie Stevens type feathers, but for saltwater use and to make them durable...bulk them up to use off a boat so that when wet the shape formed a fish body. I wanted them to stay in that shape on the quick strip. The bonding you use might help me in doing the FB easier. I am happy to see the glueing (welding is a better word) technique being rejuvenated with the latest bonding materials. I had to use goop to secure the feathers and then some light epoxy. It had been recommended that I try softex as well but refuse to work with that stuff.

Attachments

#7 ·
juro said:
Wait a minute Pete... is that from this storm? Nothing out in Chatham for snow...
That WAS from the latest storm here in Yaaamouth...
the snow/rain line of demarcation was abrupt but the accumulation didn't last long after the snow turned to LIQUID...
'before the rainz came...

#8 ·
striblue said:
Is the hair tied in or is the hair clumped and secured with that bonding stuff?
and later...
It had been recommended that I try softex as well but refuse to work with that stuff.
John... as stated in the header...
'Same idea and phoundation but with phur and more conventional tying methods... [as in tying... with thread]
The adhesion process is NOT nearly as effective with phur and hair...
there has to be an anchor point and pheatherz have that characteristic...
hair and phur, NOT SO MUCH... 'lacking a foot print to take hold...
regarding the suspect phly in question... clumped and wrapped...
Acrylics don't seem to have the same invasive sticky tenacity as the toluene rich goop and softex adhesives...
AND they DON'T have the intrusive toxic odors... [as in drain bamage!]
I find the acrylics easier to manage and very effective for my intended applications...
They have limitations but the good dwarfs the bad and they set up "on command"... my new favourite medium...
epoxy and toluene be gone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.