Fly Fishing Forum banner

Three weeks and counting...

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
Until I'm in Baja. Preparations have begun:

*Checking/Replacing backing.
*Stocking up on tippet material.
*Replacing loops on flylines.
*Looking for misplaced stuff. I mean really... How do you lose a 12 wt intermediate line...:mad:
*Find/check/replace marking pens in boat bag. Green, blue, brown, black, 3 reds. Red is important ;)
*Transfering tools from vest to bag (one week before trip, and all at once to make sure nothing is forgoten)
*Tying Biminis and building leaders (15 lb class/27 fluoro bite X 12, 15lb class/60 fluoro bite X 12, 15lb class/100 mono bite X 4)
*Tying, Tying, Tying...

#4 ·
East Cape Salty. Specifically Punta Colorada 50 or so road miles away from Cabo. First choice was Las Arenas, but the lodge I was booked into did the ol' belly up. No money lost fortunately. I won't have that direct short run to the Island trench, but It'll still be smokin'

Roosters will be sparse, but big if you can get one to take. Dorado, will either be all schoolies, or just big singles (varies from year to year and NOBODY has been able to explain it to me), Tuna and skippies will be all over, and sails will be plentiful, and you don't have to tease them, just toss 3 or 4 sardinas at them to wake them up :cool:

I'll be solo in the boat, so no action shots, but maybe I can get the Panguero to take a few "hero shots". Otherwise it'll be "Jack/rooster on the sandy beach", "tuna on the deck", and "sail in the water alongside boat".

#5 ·
PHILSTER,I stayed just down the road from there,at his outher hotel dalmers de cortes they are both owned by the vanwarners
Ibeleve the brothers are running them now, my friend had a bad experiance there w/ one of the capt, they went out for a ALL DAY trip an the capt got tired an told him he caught enought fish time to head back. so he says. I had a great time caught fish ,broke a rod, food was great, plenty of drink, you should have a great time. when you land watch the HEAT it will slap you in the face till
your use to it . a couple of COOLD BEERS an off to the taxie you go. I got our capt to DROP us off on one of the beach so we could fish the surf, I had a BIG BLACK CAT come out of the brush
60yds away an walk down the beach looking for food this guy was at least 150lbs glade I was in the water an going the outher way. thats enought I could go on for ever. have a good one an take fome pic!!!
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN"
P.S. watch out for the (FREDEALRALIES) they all carry guns!
:smokin:

#7 ·
Not sure if Los Arenas closing again is good or bad. I have camped on Muertos beach and it is a beautiful spot. There is a guy(in Agua Marga?)who has a sort of motel. They call him "Diablo". I haven't been back in a few years.
Tying all those leaders...ouch! Let us know how it goes.

#8 ·
I hear you Eddie about Las Arenas. One thing lodges and fishing/hotels do is keep an eye on highly damaging fishing. Gillnets and what-not (things that go boom).

Yeah... I literally had nightmares last night about tying huffnagles... No kidding. They were all slipping. Really. But after the first dozen biminis (six class tippets), they really become no slower than a good blood knot, probably faster.

Trying out a new shock tippet connection knot this year recommended by a buddy. Not a great knot for the IGFA boys. Called a "slim beauty" or a "shock knot". Pretty cool, and in my highly scientific "tying it to the doorknob" test, it appears at least as good as a Huff.

I used to brind down about a dozen pretied leaders for a week before I started using fluorocarbon. One good tuna and the fluoro is all distorted and kinky. I'm not saying it weakens to the point that it's the weak link in the leader, but two or three good fish and I have to change. It just looks all jacked up!

#10 ·
Do you rent or own:hehe:

Eddie, I sent a response about the old days in San Francisco, but your mail box was full and I think the message vanished into the ether, and is probably being read by the Ether Bunny right now!

Say, did you know who ever take a $20.00 out of the register to get a coffee on the corner, and they try to blame you the next morning for the short? :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.