Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly Guide Drowns on the Vineyard

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
Oh man, I remember him ,he was on the FFSW board wasn't he? I remember him being the Vinyard guy... I had a feeling the person was somewhere on the web that we check into. This is an edit...just checked FFSW and Mark Sedotti indicated that he had just seen and spoken to him yesterday....

#5 ·
We've had a series of recreational fisherman drownings lately. Thoughts and prayers to all the families.
I'm getting spooked. Time to reevalute our safety measures. PFD's, compass on the flats, water- whatever it is you need to be doing to be safe. Are you acting within your limits?

Lefty

#6 ·
Yes thats tragic and a reminder that you must be very careful wading or boating any water. We had two occurences this spring. One a small skiff on Lake Michigan of coho fisherman they went out, wind came up, something happened they did not find their bodies for a several weeks in the big lake.

Few weeks ago a river fisherman got to close to the dams turbines during high water, his small boat was sucked in the high flow. They found the boat but not him the last I heard. I have been in the same location and this river is very strong in high water.

Be careful.

#9 ·
Tragic; our thoughts and sympathies are with his family this Father's Day.

Wading is a dangerous game at night, even during the day where shoreline structures create unexpected hazards. I hope everyone practices the utmost caution in their enjoyment of coastal fishing with tide changes, currents, and tracking paths.

GPS is a Godsend for those who risk wading where visual keys are obfuscated by darkness, fog, etc. Even when everything is perfectly visible, the knowledge of where the highpoints exist under the flooding flats is priceless when you have overstayed your welcome in the incoming flood.

Personal Flotation Devices would have changed the scenario significantly as well perhaps.

To avoid diluting this moment of respect and sympathy for a fallen fellow angler, I won't preach about wading safety any further but like others have pointed out in the posts above... please be careful out there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.