Fly Fishing Forum banner

the funny bunny

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
The "funny bunny"
this fly can make a sluggo look dead in the water. it'll get you all over the water column unlike a traditional bunny fly.

hook: short shanked hook,34007 or similar size 1
head: jiggy head(small)with 2 wraps of .30 lead to hold it in place... use small ones, I tried the med and large and found casting difficult. these are heavy compaired to clouser eyes.
mono loop: 30 mason hard mono, or equivalent
thread: flatwaxed(my preference),any will do
tail: zonker strip
body: crosscut rabbit
OPTIONAL:
flash over tail
stick on prism eyes

the 1st step is to put the jiggy head over the hook then wrap 2 winds of lead over the shank and slide it hard against the back of the head and wind with thread to keep it from sliding around.next:wrap the shank with tread to the bend,coat with head cement. cut a peice of mono, to make a loop that will be 1/4 inch beyond the hook bend.wrap this tight! then place a zonker stip(whatever length you prefer) skin side up along the shank and wrap with thread to the hook point. now you can add flash or not on top of zonker and secure. coat the shank with a bit of cement. take crosscut rabbit strip and (making sure the fur aims to the back)and wind it down the shank to the jiggy head, cut it here and whip finish and cement thread. you can add stick-on eyes to the jiggy head and use nail polish to make more durable. I have to give credit to Capt. Steve moore for the name, I didn't have one till he saw it.

See less See more
#3 ·
hey Juro, save your disk space and just post the finished fly, if anyone
wants to see how it is tied, just follow the pictures on this link, http://www.reel-time.com/pattern/Rogers/bunny/bunny.asp
and my discription. the jiggy head goes on 1st with the hollow end toward the tail... or use a conehead instead. tight lines, Tom D

#5 ·
Tom -

I will put up the pictures you sent ASAP. I just finished publishing a new article about Snake River Steelhead by member Duggan Harman of Seattle. Look for it on the sidebar tomorrow. I will have a little breather between stories and will put up those pics you sent, thanks for waiting.

Hey anyone want to learn web publishing?

Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.