Fly Fishing Forum banner

Big Housie Smallies

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 · (Edited)
Given the unsettled weather pattern following the great blackout on Thrsday/Friday I headed for the Housatonic above Bulls Bridge to launch the yak and explore the lake above the dam. Further upstream the river was running at 1500cfs which pretty much rules out trout fishing for several days but I figured that at the lower end of the lake the water might have cleared a bit. The water level was up and there was a discernable flow but paddling was very easy and the visibility didn't look too bad. I actually paddled all the way up to Kent - then let the current slowly take me back downstream checking out various structure - fallen trees, boulder piles etc. I was fishing a yellow/chartreuse gurgler pattern. At two spots I was rewarded with some of my best ever smallmouth bass. These were all over 15 inches with bodies as deep as dinner plates. When the first one hit and exploded on the surface I thought it was a largemouth - they are apparently in the river but I didn't see any that day. I finished up with about half dozen landed and twice as many dropped.

I'll definitely be back - it can only get better as water levels drop.

#4 ·
Repeat performance today. Water level has dropped and clarity improved. Bagged two more dinner plate smallies and countless bluegills. Not quite a Nantucket sleigh ride but the biggest bass was big enough to spin the yak around :D

#6 ·
Sad to say I think I missed out on the white fly hatch this season:( But only a week or two of these lower temps and the BWOs should be coming off in full swing - thats when we separate the men from the boyz :D

It's been pretty hot this past week but work and home committments conspired to keep me off the river during the late evenings. I'm not sure I would have wanted to be in some of the better known spots though - I've never been a fan of crowded fishing venues and it was reportedly shoulder-to-shoulder in some spots - pretty scary - that many fly rods operating in close proximity and almost total darkness :whoa:

Even my local pond had three other boats on it yesterday - maybe I should relocate to Minnessota :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.