Fly Fishing Forum banner

UP-DATE- Rip trip 6/7

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  craig 
#1 ·
So far I only have 8 people including me... the list I have now is Striblue,JimS , CSJ60, Craig, Shadfreak (2), flyfreak and Creighton(friend of JayM)...... The initial weather does not look good... but I will NEED ALL to commit on this thread by Thursday... I will not have Keith go unless we have our numbers and I know that there will be no drop outs absent some serious matter. Even if all commit I may not go with 8 people and just reshedule for mid- summer.

#9 · (Edited)
Jay and Creighton are IN

Went out with Juro (as part of a larger guided trip) last Saturday and with his assistance, sighted a 38" blue on the flats. What a fight on my 8 weight - went through half the backing. Which is why I can't wait to get back out there......... unfortunately Juro's camera was lost in the saltwater after all the celebrating so no picutures exist (felt very bad for him).

#10 ·
Jay, I regret the loss of those two 30 second videos of that INCREDIBLE bluefish and that EPIC battle more than the camera itself, a bag of bolts can be replaced but the images of that magic can not unfortunately. I have an idea of how to do that justice though, more later ;)

The fact that it was sighted in a couple feet of water, led, and teased perfectly was one thing, but to battle a fish a hundred yards away in a blink, thrashing and leaping with pogie cutting blades for teeth, and being landed was quite another!

That was awesome from the moment we saw the pod to the moment of it's release. Although the digital portrait is not to be, the mind's eye will never forget that fish and the battle you won.

In any case, congratulations on an incredible flats fish. It's no wonder I see one-legged gulls more often with beasts like that roaming the shallows. :eyecrazy:

#14 ·
I remember my 1st rip trip well. I was new to the bunch, couln't cast for beans, I'm still no pro. Anyway, some of the group was hooking up regularly and strip as a did I could not buy a hit. Some of the guys helped me out and showed me the correct presentation and bang. Quality fish in one of the most scenic spots I've fished. Wish I were going.

#15 ·
OK... here is what I have... Me, JimS, CSJ60,Craig, Shadfreak (2), Flyfreak, Jay (he is back in ), Creighton and evj263.... Now I will contact Keith tomorrow anyway but we will not know if the trip is on until Friday... I don't know when but I will contact keith... I am holding this number firm until tomorrow... then you are committed absent a family emergency... if we are not on because of weather or more importantly wind.. then I will still ask Keith to do an early morning south beach trip... If there is any possibility of afternoon wind that would force us into a death march I will suggest cancelling... I am not up for an 8 mile walk at the end of a long day down there... but for now it lokks good. more tomorrow. FINALLY, to save TIME>>>PLEASE CHECK THE PAST POSTS ON THE TRIP TO KNOW WHAT TO BRING.. THAT IS THE PAST YEARS POSTS>>>NO NEED TO REPEAT THEM HERE NOW... Food for lunch, water, Travel light, Cell phones, walkee talkeee, the right clothes and the usual for a day fishing... I will bring the cigars and ramsome for anyone captured by the amazon birders.

#19 ·
Creighton is IN

Creighton is IN. He does not have an account and is traveling this week but will be back for the trip.

Broadbill, thanks for the clarification. Don't want to lose my spot due to a name confusion.

And Juro does exaggerate about my fish attraction abilities.... seems like everytime I fish with him, I learn something new and THEN catch a great fish with his assistance. He has the eyes of an eagle on the flats.

Jay

Jay Muelhoefer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.