Fly Fishing Forum banner

$64 tube fly question for the Oregon Dept of F&G

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
In a chat with a local guy he pointed out the tube flys, by the nature of their construction, may be in 'violation' of Oregon's present 'fly only water' requirements. (Present statute says the fly must be tied on the hook, whereas a tube fly has the leader running through it and the hook 'inserted' into the tube.)

Stopped our local Fish and Game guy(s) cold in their conversational tracts. They're going to call Portland and see if anyone else has asked the question and call me back. This may be a "spirit and intent" question, but I thought better ask before ending up 'signing my name to a long yellow sheet of paper with the nice man/woman employeed by the Oregon State Police (they do 99% of our game control work).

#3 ·
And the $64 goes to the little lady in the balcony

First: Doc, that hurt, realllly realllllly hurt (but "ok" if you're offering :>) PS: to that: Santa's package is in the mail to you and Melanie. Joan wants to know if the "Banff" is the Banff my Canadian 'one' is named after

Anyway (light drum rollllll here). Game folks just called back after a 'confab' with Portland Headquarters and said tube flys are ok in 'fly only waters' as long as the fly meets any other requirement (like if wted flys are a 'no-no,' suspect a fly made using aluminum or brass tube would also be a no-no).

So there's the official word. Print a copy of this and have it in your wallet if the guy trys to give you a ticket.:eyecrazy:

#5 ·
Doc, a couple of 'construction' questions for you

Just because Joan has the box with all my "official" Christmas Tube fly stuff doesn't mean I didn't get an extra 'stash' to salt away and try my hand. (Joan's already in California so the mice will play when the cats away ...) Amazing what you can do with a nail, 4x hook cut off at the bend, etc.

Construction question: A couple of the flys you sent me were 'weighted' but don't seem to have been constructed on brass or aluminum tubing. What have you done to add extra weight to the fly? Or is there another way to 'skin the cat?'

Cost me a small bundle to get bags of different coloured Elk hair for the tubes but what the heck, you can't take it with you .... unless you've already tied the fly. Thinking about playing hookie tomorrow afternoon and hitting the upper Rogue to try some of my 'creations.' Joan would freak if I lost one of yours.
fe

Vis a vis Banff I intro'ed Joan to Western Canada a few years back on a 3+ week trip; thought I'd have to tie her up in the car to get her to leave "our" Banff.

#6 ·
Hi Fred
How well do you know your dentist ?

The dental Xray films have a lead backing which stops the Xrays falling out the back and scattering round the patient.

These can be flattened and wrapped round the tube. High quality wine used to have lead foil round the cork, mind you thet used to have cork as well. Now all I can afford is screw tops!!!

A touch of Super Glue usually holds the foil in place then tie the fly as normal.

Hope this helps.

Good wishes for tommorrow I'm feeling very jealous ( turning green )cannot get fishing til 15 January.

Malcolm

#7 ·
Darn sorry about 'screw tops' only-We used to own vineyards

Actually do know my dentist well; will give Susan and call and see if I can get her to fork over. They use the small ("Please bite down gentle) kind so don't know if this would be workable.

Joan and I had 28 1/2 acres of which 15 were planted in P. Gris, Merlot, Cab Franc and Cab Sav. Also had a small 'personal patch' with Vionier (never could remember how to spell that but GOD I loved the wine it produced). Nice young couple came in and offered us a large cashier's check and Joan (the spoil sport) said "that would be just fine thank you." But still have a couple of hundred bottles in stock ... and not a screw top in the bunch.

Actually, the screw top and wine in a box are two of the very best ways to 'cork' or keep wine. Just zero pazzazz with the public. When you get over to this side of the Pond, I'll make sure you have many 'wet' evenings.
:devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.