Fly Fishing Forum banner

wHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FLY/TIPPIT KNOT AND WHY?

• IMPROVED CLINCH KNOT

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • ORVIS KNOT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TRILENE KNOT

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • UNI-KNOT

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • IMPROVED TURLE KNOT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PALOMAR KNOT

Votes: 2 16.7%

it's all for KNOT

9K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Skilly 
#1 ·
Pick your favorite fly/tippit knot, and tell why it's your favorite.

1. CRAWFORD KNOT
2. TRILENE KNOT
3. IMPROVED CLINCH KNOT
4. ORVIS KNOT
5. UNI-KNOT
6. IMPROVED TURLE KNOT

#5 ·
Improved clinch, but.....

I use the knot for the situation. Most times, an improved clinch knot for tippet-to-fly is a good knot.

I recently read an article on fluorocarbon, where a "premium" company did extensive testing (very scientific, using an Instron recording tensile tester), and they specify a standard 6-turn clinch knot as being the strongest. They also were very specific about wetting the knot, and pulling it tight with a "jerk" (the action, not your fishing buddy) for best results, as it is very susceptible to thermal (friction) damage. The results were also very repetitive. I now use that knot for fluorocarbon, and have found that it is a good knot for the application.

Interestingly, they also recommend the four-turn surgeon's knot for attaching the fluorocarbon tippet to the mono leader. It works well, using the wetting/tightening action described above. Prior to that I had problems with tippets breaking at their junction knot.

I also use other knots for specific applications and other types of fishing.

BobK

#6 ·
I'm with Bob on this one.

"Interestingly, they also recommend the four-turn surgeon's knot for attaching the fluorocarbon tippet to the mono leader. It works well, using the wetting/tightening action described above. Prior to that I had problems with tippets breaking at their junction knot"

To build leaders I'll use a good old barrel knot, to attach tippet materials (especially if it's going to be fluorocarbon) with a tripple sugeon's knot. Interesting the 'do it quick' part on snugging up the pieces. That I didn't know.
fae

#7 ·
Improved clinch, trilene knot, Duncan knot (nymphs)
surgeons knot (3x and 4x), not sure about the improved clinch though for fluro carbons yet, lost a couple of steelhead due to that knot using fluor carbon. Might have been me ? :confused:

Suppose to pull the knot quickly together for the flour carbons in order for it to tighten correctly.

I need to practice that, put that on my to do list.

Prepare yourself before you get to the water !

PM Out

#8 ·
None of the above.....

The knot that I use the most often is the non-slip loop knot. I use this for almost every single salt water fly that I tie on, and for all large freshwater streamers and topwater patterns. For smaller stuff like nymphs and dries, I use the regular turtle knot.

#15 ·
It's all for knot

It's raining, the rivers are blown out, I'm tired of tying, so here goes...

The 16-20 knot is my current favorite, followed by Kreh's no-slip loop, and then the Trilene knot.

Those unfamiliar with the 16-20 should give it a try. I came across it while checking out an Alantic Salmon website and have been impressed with it's strength, durability, and compact structure. I've yet to have a single 16-20 knot fail.

Here's a link if you care to give it a try:

http://www.gaspelink.com/ron/knots/1620loopknot.htm

John :smokin:

#18 ·
Knots I Use

I use blood knots for leaders to the tippet. I attach that with a double surgeons.

I use the non-slip loop to attach tippets to the polyleaders I use.

I use the Jansick special to attach hooks, because I have found it to be stronger than the Palomar. I will also use the non-slip loop for some hooks for summer steelhead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.