Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dick Brown's Book

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
I will be tying Bonefish Flys this winter from Dick Browns Book and was surprised to see no entries in this catogory... I will speak with Juro about posting some patterns going forward.. Any interest in that from anyone.. Adrian... you've been bonefishing.. what are your favorite flies?

#2 ·
You're right John, we need some in here. I have a couple of reliables although my trips to bonefishing country have not been as frequent as I wish, I have made some great and memorable trips to the Keys and am heading that direction in 2002.

Sounds like a plan, don't forget the steelhead fly swap you signed up for too! :D

#3 ·
Hi John

Here is my all-time favorite:

There are some fundamental differences to the original gotcha:

The head is a Flouro hot red/orange bead.
The wing is Butterscotch color Arctic Fox.

This fly in sizes 8 - 4 has caught consistently in the Bahamas and also Christmas Island.

This next one is in Dick Brown book (Phlueger Hoy). I've included it since it was tied by Bob Hyde of Peace & Plenty in Exuma. The blue color imitates a color feature on a small crab. The marabou wing is Tan & the palmered hackle a dirty white saddle. This is a great fly for very spooky tailing fish since it litterally lands like a feather ;)

#4 ·
This could not have come at a better time. I've never really fished for Bonefish and I'm heading to Eleuthera for Christmas Vacation. I've been tying up some Gotcha's (like the one you show, but with another synthetic hair) but I'm looking for more flies. Keep'em coming!

Nick

#5 ·
Nick - you lucky dog! Good luck down there and I think your Monomoy experience will be key. GregO's bonefishing oddysey made him have a sharp eye at Monomoy, let's see if the opposite is true for you.

My recommendation is to get the shrimp flyfur and a brown and gray pantone marker. Use the flyfur for the 'wing' and mottle it by dabbing it with the pantone markers.

I will post my keys shrimp pattern, which is probably already someone elses pattern but it's what I used with success down there.

Also - don't forget to bring some of your big striper flies to battle the cuda! American wire too. Also, bring a pair of stout forceps or pliers so you don't learn the hard way like I did! Er... ok I am thigh deep with a big angry barracuda... what do I do now? :confused: ;)

#6 ·
That's what I've been using, FlyFur, but more of a light tan. I also have some darker tan as well. What color is the shrimp? I think I'll definitely pick up some of those markers. I am bringing some Striper flies as well, the cudas sound fun, as well as anything else I can grab. Maybe some snappers on my 350gr with a Real Eel in Blue Headed Wrasse colors... :D

#7 ·
Nick

If you can't get arctic fox, tie a few flies with marabou wings - the extra mobility can work wonders sometimes. Fly fur is great and Juro's suggestion with the pantone pens makes a lot of sense since often you're looking to match the wing to bottom colors. The beauty of the mobile wings is you can fish 'em static. Bones can drive you nuts sometimes, when they're "uncomfortable" for some unfathomable reason. At those times I find it helps to throw the rule book out of the window. Give the fish plenty of lead as you would for stripers on the flats and just let it sink and sit there at the mercy of the current. You'd be surprised how often a big bad bone will just swim up to your fly and inhale it;)

For 'Cuda, dont throw your favorite flies unless they're made of stout synthetics - I like ultra hair best. I've had great results with an over-grown surf candy style pattern about 7 - 8 inches long. Bucktail and most nutural materials get shredded on the first strike. Bozo hair doesn't do much better. Pattern seems to be a lot less important than presentation (sound familiar?). Getting 'em to chase is fairly easy but often they will follow you right to the boat (or your feet) and turn off as you run out of "arm". If they're playing that game, rip the fly away as if you're starting a back cast with a good haul. If they don't hit just drop it back on thier nose and rip it away again - you'll find if they want it you can't get it away from them fast enough and it drives em crazy:D

Your standard clouser selection willl work great on snappers etc. Just chuck it out over a rocky drop off, strip and hold on:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.