Fly Fishing Forum banner

Who's interested in a mini Spey Clave in honor of Juro

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
I know I'm fairly new to the board, but I will have o say this is one of my most enjoyable BB's I visit. But I figured, since Juro was coming to WA state, why not have a mini get together and toss a single or double haander together. He's done an excellent job as the sitemeister and maaking this board availablee to all of us.

So who's interested? Weekends work best for me, but I may be able to swing a day off during the week. Iit's highly douubtful, but weekends work best for me. We could either do a group float or just hit a local sstretch of water and just wet a line.

So what do you al think?? Bring a BBQ grill with and serve up burgers and steakss??

Any suggestions if this is good or a bad idea??????

#2 ·
SH69 -

I have great memories of the spring steelhead float a couple years back...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/articles/steelyfever/index.htm

and the great fall trip from the next year...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/articles/bc-steel/index.htm

etc, etc.

Let's definitely get together - but I wouldn't be comfortable unless the theme was about ALL the people on the Forum who make it what it is. If in anyone's honor, how about the winter 2001-2002 steelhead fly swap meister? ;) Or Sean, who has been amazing? Or the prez of WSC; the sultan of snake roll, Spey legends and new converts alike, steely schnauzers from BC, WA, OR and CA who contribute every day... My most sincere thanks for the consideration but there's no need for that - I get my reward every day from everybody who stops by.

Let's get together to simply celebrate wild steelhead!

#3 ·
Good Memories!

Hey SH69, Juro, et al

I remember that Cowlitz hen - never expected to get a grab on JJ's foam-head skater that foggy morning. She was a welcome suprise.

SH69 - that boat in the first pic with the 3 guys standing around is my Puma - Cats may rule over those little Outcasts, but I'll take just about any whitewater you can find in the Puma. Check out Bob's videos of Fishgal and her friend doing the Bear Creek to Hatchery run in one!:D

Seriously, when Juro gets set on some dates I'm sure he'll announce to the Forum and get a mini-clave of some sort going on a weekend day if possible. Dragging a BBQ along for some grilled goodies on the river sounds great (JJ - are you there??), pics, spontaneous spey casting seminars, etc. The Sky pics were from just such a clave, with Tyler (Kush) down from BC, Duggan (Sinktip), Bill Littlewood (recently exiled to Boston), and myself (and anyone else I've forgotten??) :?

Sounds like this will be a Clave in honor of the Forum, which has become one of the outstanding online sites to chat with fellow fly anglers, tell a joke, share a story, or arrange a trip. Hopefully we can get a bunch of us out on the river to celebrate!! :)

Keep your hooks sharp!

DS

#4 ·
Nothing wrong with PUmas

I have no problems with whitewater rafts. Puma is a good boat. My first experiences whitewatering was in a raft in the early 80's. We were running an old bucket boat, not one of the selfbailers you see now. But I got my firs experience with cats in mid/latee 80's and got hookd. Bouught my own whitewater cat right ouut o high school and rest has been history. I almost bouught a raft, but a cat is basiically the sports car of the whitewater world. They dig into the wateriike a kayak, but have theboouyancy of a raft. Most serious whitewater guys will tell you these big caatsare "playboats". In fact I almost bought a Super Pumaato make a driftboat out of, but love my cats and was trying to narrow down my boats, not increase them.

I feel with your Puma, my Ocelot, and some other DB's and personal watercraft we shouuld be covered if we do a drift.

#5 ·
I will be purchasing a 16ft DB shortly If i am able to work out the time off i'd go for something like this, heck maybe i'd try to bring the boss along. but everyone has to promise not to laugh at my rowing and has to double promise not to laugh at my trailer backing!

#8 · (Edited)
I have an idea

How about this Rob/Ryan. We can plan a trip for the Hoh. Sparkey can run his Outcast and Ii'll run my 16'. I can pu Sparkey in Tacoma aand meet you in say Olympia and commute iin my rig (I have a moped for a chaser and my cat is on a traileer). This way one rig aand noboy has to ride alone. Just need some advanced notice so I can arrange a sitter for my kids. If I floated the Hoh without my girlfriend sh'd kil me. I got her hooked on that river.

I thought i'd add, Ryan, I can hook your outcast on top of my boat oon my boat trailer. I caa stack aboout 3 boats high on my trailer.

Plus Ryan, I know the REAL reason you want Rob to bring his DB, you want someone to row while you fish, we get the idea ow. :D

Oh yeah, starting this friday I'm on vacation for a week. We could plan a one day thing for that week. I could possibly swing a trip say oon the Nooch, Satsop. Alot closer trip and just as good posibilities. Just an idea.

#10 ·
More the merier

Hey Steve, no problem. We'll be having some sort of min clave. But it sounds if they aae up to it, a little float with Rob and Ryan. We talked a few times steve, abouut myself learning to spey cast. ust deciding what river to float. The Hoh is a good river, but one HELLUUVA drive for a one day trip. Especiially for you guys.

The more the merrier. I'm just trying to stay away from the "'floatilla" thiing on other BB's. A couple boats, but not a TON.

I think I'll start aother thread.

#12 ·
69'er-
I actually got rid of the Pac 900. It was a co-workers and he had to sell it cause he needed the cash. Oh how I miss that boat... :( Anyways Ive got a piece of crap Pac 9 right now and a SouthFork which is okay.

I actually dont mind rowing because I really want to learn and gets lots of practice so I can get good on the sticks.

Rob-
If we floated Morgans down to 101 I would have no problem at all rowing most of that section in your boat...although I've never rowed a glassboat but I have rowed an almost 25 y.o FishRite which I am assuming is rows more like a glass boat then a modern aluminum. I just wouldnt be able to row the Oxbow. If we got Jerry to row that in the driftboat, I know I wouldnt have a problem taking his Cat through it. ;)

Sometime in March?? Hell Rob or Jerry if one of you guys can get away before then (next couple weeks) I am up for it!!! :)

Juro-
When you are planning your trip out here do not plan anything that I would not want to miss on the 23rd of Febuary, as I got word today I've got a mandatory family dinner party. :(

#13 ·
Jerry-
Next week sounds great...my days off are in the middle of the week, usually Wendsday and Thursday so I would have no trouble pulling that.

Some wild fish are making a good strong showing in the lower Sky and I've heard of a few fish out of the Sauk. So you could always run up here if you wanted to...I am just worried about the people on the Nooch as it seems like that river is getting more and more crowded everyday. And if we get some cold stable weather locally, an excellent Zipperlip might start fishing really well.

#14 ·
The Nooch usually doesn't get aot of trafic duurg the weekdays. If it has alot of boats either th rivers punched or it's REALLY HOTand lots of good reports.

DOesn't matter to me Ryan. We carun my cat,fine with me if you want torun the Hoh. I can fish 4 from my cataraft. Just with 4 only the rear person can fling a rod or one in front has to sit while one fishes. I know if Ii went on a float on the Hoh and didn't take my girlfriend she'd shoot me. I could manage a float on the Nooch/Satsop. Which the Satsop has a good broodstocck program. But I'd have NO problem running the Hoh in my cat, or showing you Rob how to run your DB in it.

Hey Ryan, Rob, check outhe new thre I started. Hel, if al else fails we can just make our own arangements for next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.