Fly Fishing Forum banner

Spring Clave fly choice

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Smcdermott 
#1 ·
I need to start tying for the Clave. What should I tie and where are the recipes? Thanks.

Phil

#2 ·
Phil,

Not sure you really need to be too picky third week in May. As I've said before May is when people fall in love with a fly, but that love affair usually doesn't last until July.

I just go with 5-6 patterns in spring of which half get a lot of use:

Deep eel, spring colors 6"
Herring pattern 8-10"
Poppers

Years ago I just used a white bunny fly or a white deceiver with great results. I think the anglers are more picky than the fish in May.

#3 ·
I more or less agree with Juro...

Even though I think that Juro is pretty much correct in his assessment (IMHO) I always go to one fly in May: the Sedotti Slammer.

If you have Veverka's book you will find the Slammer in there. If you need a recipe I could be convinced to type it up for you Phil.

Nonetheless the Slammer is a glorified deceiver (but with a wider profile from above and with good castability). A deceiver would work just as well in most cases.

I also like the Rat's Arse (Harry Koons from Nauset Angler ties this one). This is a glorified clouser with some bunny strips palmered into the body.

I suppose a clouser would work almost as well.

So there you go, clousers and deceivers!

I hope to make the clave but I am still iffy.

Good luck,

Mike

#4 ·
Bend back Ray's fly.

Long shank Mustad 34011 would be my choice of hook. Buck tail acts as weed guard for the weed beds off South Beach and is a great sand eel imitation if tied sparsely. Juro once commented to me that a shoelace would have done just as well with the bass on the flats that day but this fly has performed well for me and gives me a little more confidence when making the cast than the shoelace does and definitely fouls less.

Sean

#6 ·
Phil......I second the Ray's fly.....it's been a winner for me.......also tie a variation....before "dressing the Rays fly....cut about 3 inches of silver flex cord, place 1 inches on the shaft and then fray the remaining 2 inches behind the bend...top with sparse white/olive and a few strands of peacock herl and some large eyes............this has been my most successful spring fly..........hideous, but effective :) It certainly gets the attention of agressive fish in the spring.
Ron
PS: if you are fishing near a purist.....hide the fly from view to avoid severe ridicule! :)

#7 ·
For springtime I've come to the conclusion that "bigger is better" when it comes to sorting out the bigger fish. Last year I fished 9" - 11" flies and had several keepers but the 16 - 18 inchers still managed to nail the bigger flies. I even had hickory shad swallowing 12" flies in the bathtub - so much for "shad flies".

Bring it on:smokin:

#9 ·
Thanks Fellas. I am well aware of the ease with which hungry spring fish devour just about anything. Just looking forward to the Clave and the days that lead up to it. I have negelected my vise this winter and was looking for a good excuse to get busy again. Anyone heard of a Twissler? It was invented by Mark Twiss of Stonington, Ct.. I'll be looking into that one at the CTRI meeting.

Phil

#13 ·
Caught my biggest to date early last season (Memorial Day weekend, me thinks) on a pink over white Unique Hair tied onto a number 2 hook with red dumbell eyes- small and simple, but effective. Lost the same fly to a marauding blue the next day fishing with the Simms brothers....
Flydoc

#14 ·
Thanks fellas!

Keep those favortites coming! I'll be tying six of each. And thanks to all who are sending samples. Nothing like the real thing! I'll return the originals to you at the clave. The Ct. River holdovers are in love with Mickey Finn Clousers from what I'm hearing. Hamburg Cove.

Phil

#15 ·
bonefishmon said:
Keep those favortites coming! I'll be tying six of each. And thanks to all who are sending samples. Nothing like the real thing! I'll return the originals to you at the clave. The Ct. River holdovers are in love with Mickey Finn Clousers from what I'm hearing. Hamburg Cove.

Phil
Phil,

Sent you a PM. I need your address for the flies. No need to return mine. If I can't make the spring clave at least a few of my flies will!

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.