Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trey Combs...

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  vickinge 
#1 ·
has a book that may be the bible on "Bluewater Fly Fishing." While I don't do a lot of that type of fishing, I picked up this book because that is the next level of flyfishfing for me. It is a great read on the types of fish/behavior, locations, tackle, rigging, flies, etc. Its also a great primer for types like me that have had a taste of this type of fishing, but have lots of questions.

Also, FWIW, Tom Gilmore's book, "Tuna On The Fly" is good, but mostly a "I did this" type of read. However, it has some good advice and info on the northeast tuna bite. Its apparent that he is hooked on the tuna fishery, and I'd sure recommend it to newbies, like me, to the sport.

Other good reads out there?

#4 ·
Jim,

Sounds like the Trey Combs book will take some space off the B&N gift cards I got for Christmas.

While not a book, the guys from first light put out a tuna video a few years ago that is a nice addition to the library. They have an excellent rigging section where they talk about the hollow dacron splices they put on the lines and after getting one from them I can't think there is a stronger connection out there and its very clean going through the guides. The footage of tuna feeding on top doesn't hurt either :lildevl: .

Sean

#6 ·
Sean, thanks for the tuna video info. I think I saw it one evening at the CAC, but will try to get a copy.

Anyone seen the video, Stripers Gone Wild? It supposedly has some great underwater footage of predator/prey behavior.

Just received copies of the Howard productions, Chasing Silver and In Search of a Rising Tide. The former is great tarpon footage in the Keys, both historical and current by some of the greats in the sport, Billy Pate, Andy Mills, etc. The latter is a short bonefish video of great guides, including an interfview with Bonefish Charlie on Andros. Both get the blood flowing for sunny climes this time of year.

#7 ·
Jim,

Those Howard Films productions are top notch. Wish I owned them both but have resorted to viewing them at friends places as often as possible. I did get the Stripers Gone Wild DVD this Christmas and it is worth every penny. Seeing the bait has been just if not more important than the stripes IMHO. They have it locally if you need me to pick you up a copy and drop it in the mail. I think SWE will mail it out as well.

Sean

#12 ·
You say "the video that came with"..........is there a Trey Combs video? And it not, is there any good video/DVDs on bluewater flyfishing? Something instructional, rather than the Flip Pallot stuff.

Thanks
Inge

coaster101 said:
Trey's book is probably the best how to book I've read and the video that came with is just dam cool.........long live the sea habit...............

#13 ·
trey video

When I bought it came with video of Him on a boat out of San Diego with about 25 fisherman , two chase boats and aton of bait they work there way down to the shelf's off Cabo and back.They catch just about every species he covers in his book.....great footage......mine is on lone ...for the last six months or I would give you more info

#17 ·
vickinge said:
Thanks Coaster.........the video has been ordered. Unfortunately they didn't have this in DVD format, but I can live with a VHS......
And the video arrived. It is ok I would say, but mostly of interest if you are going on one of those long range boats out of San Diego.
Some awesome footage, though. But particularly instructional it is not.

Inge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.