Fly Fishing Forum banner

Harkers Island...one week later

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
I just got back from HI after a week of fishing, and fishing was tough. Our first day(Nov. 2nd) was productive, but then a very intense storm blew in and seemed to scatter the bait. Very tough sledding after that. We did as well as any of the folks down there, but no one was really getting them. What a difference a week makes. Still, it was worth the trip and I will trailer down next year. I might stay in Morehead City next time.

#4 ·
Eddie,
We stayed at the Harkers Island Fishing Center, great place with slips right in back for the boats. See roop's report below for some of the details on the trip.

It seemd like things were ready to fire up just as we were leaving. Water temps had dropped to about 65-66*. We had our best days away from the crowds out to the east of the slough.

Hadn't heard of any boat going down BUT I wouldn't be suprised at all. We ran the slot a couple of days where you needed to be on your toes. Was glad we were able to test run it with some flatter water the first time... ;-)

Bob

#5 ·
...Great expectations...

'Spent 8-15 Nov at Morehead City (just down the strand from Harkers)...Same inlet/shoals, etc but more places to eat, drink, and be merry...
For the first few days there was a south wind that caused a rough ride...Fish were few and far between and never concentrated or in one place for more than a nano second or two...
On Tuesday, after a relatively flat and unproductive morning, things got interesting when a Tornado watch was issued! Gotta know when to say when...A few Darwin Award contenders attempted to tempt fate and paid dearly for their lack of respect for Mother Nature. Common sense is hardly common!
After a frontal passage, the south wind finally started to swing around to the north and the swells began to subside. Things looked good on Wed/Thurs but the fish were very scattered and challenging to connect with. Several "doubles" required the FA Shuffle/two step...
'Caught my share of fast movers but did better out of Groton CT (much more cost/travel effective)...The fish in NC had much more green and pearlescents and were also about the same size (5-8#)...
A 9wt with an SA 375...3-4" clouser "tuttie-fruities" did as good as anything and maybe better (thanks for the tip Mr Roop)...
Timing is everything and hot spots can get as crazzzy as Boston traffic...:smokin:

#8 ·
...T-tailed fast mover...

More of these would have made for a better trip but...
A bad day fishin' is still better than a good day workin'!

Attachments

#9 ·
Pete, great report ,as usual and I love the photo's..Hope to make the trip next year with Pink and Roop....That's a real good fish....Ah....by the way, what I really want to know is where you got that hair doo!.... Looks like a Catherwood Giant Killer...nicely cliped spun dark deer hair...glass eyes....:hehe: Looks like a permanent black fez!

#10 · (Edited)
...FLOWBEE...The Precision Hair Cutting System...

The money saved on haircuts supports a gear fettish!
Fly shops love me...Barbers hate me!
(a love/hate kinda' thing)

NoHat+DasBoot=BadHairDay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.