4) Fly box #4
#659589 - Don Frei

5) Wading Boots
#659597 - Jim Nicholson

6) Shadow Box
#659636 - Geoffery DeGeorge

7) GRAND PRIZE - Atlantis 11ftr 9/10 rod
#659665 - Jim Whalen

Thanks and congratulations to all! Also thanks to the innocent passersby who picked tickets for us!

Someone will contact you to make arrangements for delivery or shipping before March 24th.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey Jim!

Congratulations! You will now be savings tons of boat fuel as I doubt you'll want to chuck flies with that Atlantis from the boat, LOL!!!!!!!! See you on South Beach.
Hey John. Did you see that? He snagged J Bouy!

Phil

#7 ·
Coolest booth at the show - They said I'd get the rod if I said that.

I got there Sunday and wandered around a bit, then took in Capt. Jim White's seminar which I thought was quite good. Now I'm back on the show floor zigging and zagging the aisles when I go by the casting pond and there's Juro 2.0 the skinny guy, wouldn't have recognized you except there aren't many people casting who are running out of building:chuckle:

I make my way over to the booth and there's Scott of the Bear's Den jammin' on the guitar who was followed by Juro strummin' to the Aklins video. I mentioned my upcoming trip to the Keys and was loaded up with flies and tips - probably got more info in 15 minutes talking to Juro and Adrian than would have attending seminars all day. Thanks for the flies guys - Adrian, your crab looks killer, size and I'm guessing a quick decent to the bottom in one package.

I almost got a casting critique by Lefty, missed it by one person in front of me, I could have looked around for the new fangled casting machine but it just wouldn't be the same.

Anyone interested in the rod - keep a lookout for it here or on E-bay I fish 95% of the time out of the boat now and it's much better suited to the beach and flats, it would be a shame for it to sit in my garage only to be used once or twice a year. You may still see me out there casting for the ones at my feet.;)

Thanks to you guys who manned the booth over the weekend - it looks like fun but being pinned down in the booth all day is a lot of work, especially when everyone else is taking in the show.

#10 ·
John,

In revising my class text for this years casting classes I use the metaphor of the sled dog verses the seeing eye dog to explain the transition.

In single handed casting we whip the dogs to mush them ahead. It's very linear, we guide and they power.

In two-handed casting, whether Spey or overhead, we must learn to entrust the power inherent within the rod to do more of or casting, and we must learn to do less to work in concert with it - as it is less of a subordinate force (sled dog) in the overall act and more of a guiding tool with a force of it's own to work with, not against.

There are subtleties that become second nature over time and the returns in the investment are huge - it opens a whole new dimension of fly fishing. I would venture that those who become familiar and capable spend a day on the water working "with" their two-handers instead of mushing them ahead, and soon derive joy from this in and of itself not to mention the catching of fish it facilitates.

Even though I have been a longtime practitioner it brings both joy and results and new challenges and victories with each season. Two-handed fly casting, although an ancient art as old as single hand casting (if not older) has rejuvenated my interest in casting and fishing.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks Juro, you don't have to convince me since I am simply on the fence right now and I have seen the advantages first hand... I just need to break in!. I just answered a PM from Jim and made him an offer....hopoe you can give me a private lasson Juro... I will sure need it. (Also, please PM with the Paypal account for the shirts..I forgot and did not write it down)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.