Fly Fishing Forum banner

polaroids

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  phlyphyshr 
#1 ·
:) Last year posted on another board about the right glasses for fishing clear water on bright days.I got a few answers and bought a pair of Orvis predator amber lens that are polarized.I tried them out and was kind of not happy with them.I read another post on Flyfisherman and was so confused at the end of the posts that I couldn't even spell glasses!What I want is a simple answer to my question.I came away thinking that blue grey lenses are the answer .Would someone out there be kind enough to give it to me point blank Thanks Rod :confused:

#2 ·
Light conditions dictate the correct lens color to use. Amber lenses can work very well in low light conditions. Generally, whatever color and type lens that provides the most contrast with the least amount of glare is what you want. Amber is not the best color for use in bright conditions, but would work great on overcast days. There is no one best lens! Gray lenses should work well if the lenses are high quality and provide the needed glare reduction/contrast enhancement. :cool: There is an informative article on the subject in a recent copy of Fly Fish America. Good luck and thanks again for that Orvis Battenkill V Large Arbor...its caught numerous largemouth already! :D

Zugbugz - Arizona

#6 ·
Rod, ...

imho, ... The lense color depends on the light conditions and the water conditions. On my homewaters, the water is usually clear with a yellow tinge. I started out with Blue/grey because that is what I had always used in BC.

I switched to Brown and could see much more. I use a brand that has very good quality polarization and interchangeable lenses (amber, brown and grey).

When choosing glasses, remember to find clear lenses or light amber for late evening fishing. At the end of the day and in low light conditions, we tend to make more mistakes and that can be unpleasant.

#7 ·
Copper & Brown are my favorites

I have a pair of Action Optics that have three interchangable lenses. They are a few years old now, but they do make a new model that offers interchangable lenses for a little over $100 (US). The interchangable lenses in 3 or 4 tints give you the opportunity to chose the best lens for the conditions. I personally love the copper lenses and wear them the majority of the time. Occasionally I will switch it up and wear the brown lenses. At night or when it is getting dark I will switch to the clear plastic lenses for safety. I have always heard that grey lenses are best for boating on the ocean and that brown and copper are best for freshwater fishing. Don't know how true that is, but I would recommend you check out the copper lenses.

Regards,

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.