Fly Fishing Forum banner

Casco Bay Clave Tally

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
Something for the back burner on this cold March day. We have a member that has expressed interest in hosting a clave in Freeport, Me.! He has a ten acre field on his property near a bay that I will not disclose at this time.

I'm starting a list to generate interest. A date has not been set as said member is prowling the flats for bones at this time. This area has great potential and is not far from the mouth of the Kenebec River. Sight fishing is also part of the game from what I hear. There is a famous brew pub/eatery in town co-owned by Ed Stebbins whom I met on Andros. Great spot to gather after a day on the water.

Who's interested in attending?

Phil

#8 ·
kennebecfly said:
Sounds good, Hope you guys can make it up here..

Drew. Please give me an educated guess as to arrival of the cows with fresh sea lice. I think that will be our best target date. Once we have a window I'll try and set a date that works for everyone.

Still have to firm this up with our mutual friend from Freeport, but it's a start.

My Mac will not bring up a Google Earth view to wet everyone's appetite. Could one of you please post a few shots of the Casco Bay area from space? Thanks!

Phil

#14 ·
Couple questions -

Is our mystery host back yet? We need his availability info for starters.

How do the tides play out here? Some of these areas are like CC Bay, big tides coming fast and we need to have a safe and fish-producing strategy for success.

My experience has been that Maine fishes better on the July side of June which bodes well for Cape Cod fishermen who will want to be on Cape on the May side of June. Later dates will get more attendance IMHO, besides I will be ready for a Maine lobster roll or two by then.

Camping situation sounds fantastic!

We might plan an LL Bean visit as well, maybe we can get Mac or Topher to stop by.

#17 ·
June, around fathers day is usually hot around here,Lots of bass and bait season has yet to open in the Kennebec watershed. Sounds like we have a clave in the works! I will have my boat and there will be some great opportunities for yaks also. I cant wait to show you guys some of my haunts for a change...:chuckle:

#18 ·
Boy, it's been a while for me. kind of just hibernating. This ounds like a blast. We-Kfly and I- fish a lot in the Kennebec and Saco bay but have almost no knowldge of the Freeport area. I'd love to find a new spot mid way between us though. Like Drew said, Fathers Day is when things start to happen around here. The larger fish are moving in, Many go high into the rivers to spawn and molest the alewifes and herring. A lot of the fish caught are on the move with one thing in mind. By July 1st or so they are starting to move back to the coast and are on the ledges and beaches for the summer.

Any how count me in. I'll be spending more time around home this year.

#19 ·
With all due fairness to our proposed host to be..... lets make plans after he gets back from Mexico. Great to see the interest. Chris or Drew. Any camping facilities near the mouth of the Kennebec in the event the Freeport area is out of the question due to those tide situations?

Phil

#21 ·
Yes there is a private camp ground right at the park and I have or can get info,That will put you right on the beach. Not to fancy but has served me well. Also Hermit Island Campground is right on the beach and has some awsome fishing . Both are real close to the mouth of the Kenny and fort Popham. Hermit Island is extremely popular but both places reservations would be key, June should not be a problem. Also there is probably some lodging in the Bath area (that's Bath Maine) not Bath house :chuckle:

#22 ·
Popham Camping

I camped with my wife at Hermit Island around the 4th of July maybe 6 years ago. We woke up at the crack of dawn and walked over to the rips near the fort.

All I can say is that it was one of the best fishing mornings that I can remember. There were stripers busting everywhere (many out of fly range) and I was standing on a rock working a rip. I cast upstream, threw in a mend, and watched the fly sink amongst the turbulent water. And then I watched a gorgeous spring fresh fish inhale my deceiver. There was a certain serenity that morning that I will never forget.

Not long after that fish came to hand I could see boredom setting in on my wife's face. Soon thereafter we went to the breakfast place right at the fort and just enjoyed the view.

Then again their coffee tasted like soap. That is the only sour memory of the day!

Depending on the timing I might make it to the clave. However, I have to say that I will be more inclined to stick around NH at that time of year and fish my usual haunts. The last 2 weeks in June are a great time to fish NH and I tend to stay close to home in order to maximize fishing time.

I wish you all the best,

Mike

#23 ·
Many of my most memorable mornings have been spent on that stretch of beach with only the stripers,seals,sturgeon as company. It is a awesome place where the tidal rips do dramatic changes right before your eyes. Like anywhere the fishing can be hit or miss, but when its on look out!:smokin:

#24 ·
I'm Back

Hey Gang,
Fresh back in from Mexico, and although the wind was chuckin' I was able to obtain my first six bones! What a rush. As far as the CBClave goes, June 15-30th are the ideal times with big bait all around and large hungry stripers all about. I am looking into other camping areas with better access for boats and parking etc (the owner of my property is not comfortable with a large event like this unfortunately + only at high tide can you get a boat to the house)... I just talked to Topher and Mac today, and I am sure that they would be game for the event. There are alot of variables for tides, but what I have found is that any moving water will create good fishing in the bay and in the rivers. As far as boats are concerned, I would highly recommend having them, but that being said, Tidal charts will be a must. The water up here is very tricky and fog can come up at any minute! I will start drumming up the info and try to firm up plans and lodging info.
More info to come,

Aaron

#25 ·
Thanks Aaron!

Great to have you back safe and sound and a few bones to remember! Thanks for taking interest in a Casco Bay Clave. It's a mighty task hosting a clave but well worth the effort and great fun. You will make new friends and learn new tricks as I did during the Rhoddy Clave last year. Chris and Drew came all the way down to RI from Maine and showed us how to catch stripers on our own turf! One particular fish was so mighty as to pull the entire leader off at the nail knot. Just imagine how good they must be in their own territory!

Welcome back Casco Bay!

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.