Fly Fishing Forum banner

Micro Halogen Tying Lamps.

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ssully 
#1 ·
Hi All,

At the show I noticed a variety of mini/micro lamps used for fly tying. Any opinions on the different types and models?

Halogen verses fluorescent?

Pedestal verses Clamp on?

Different manufacturers. Prices?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Sully -

I saw them at the show too, very nice tool for tying. I have used the simple magnifying lamps with flourescent and incandescent (normal) lamps - of the office variety. I do a lot better when tying salmon flies or trout flies when I use the lamp / magnifier.

Even when the differences in detail are not visible to the naked eye, the overall sense of quality is far better after I use it.

I have noticed that incandescent provided a more natural lighting for tying than the flourescent, in terms of color that is. There was no difference in the lighting advantage, although the incandescent did burn out a lot more often.

I have not used the halogen type, personally. I'd love to try it! If you get a chance, let us know what you think.

#3 ·
I have been using a combination lamp and mag glass both from "Giraffe Multi Purpose Lamps", made in the US, Goodwin Mfg. Co. PO Box 378,Luck WI. 54853. Don't have a price since it was a gift. The lamp can use "natural Light" type bulbs for the best color view and has a great heat diispation system. Both are clamp-on styles and can be removed from the clamp when needed. Both have flexible and long necks so you can adjust them to fit any particular pattern or size of fly as well as move them away from the vise without losing the "setting" that you adjust for a particular pattern. It's the best system i have ever used with the most versatilty and willingly recommend this set up.

#4 ·
SSully,

I went to Home Depot and purchased a swingarm halogen desk lamp for the computer desk and use it for tying as well. I really like it as it has two light intensities and really illuminates a dark room. Plus, it can be adjusted by the weighted swingarm. The downside is that the halogen does generate some heat. The lamp is available at many department/office stores, however, it was only $25 at Home Depot. I have used regular desk lamps before and I would say this halogen is superior. I have used the flourescent magnifying lamp before and it is nice for the small flies, but I didn't like looking through it for long periods of time.

#5 ·
This thread will be relocated to "Gear Talk" and maintained as a permanent reference for our members. Please continue to add as much insight as you wish to this thread. If you find it missing when you return to FlyTalk, please look in the above category.

Thanks,

- admin

#6 ·
FWIW I bought a Westinghouse halogen desklamp model W4300 for $21.99 at OfficeMax. It's not a micro more of a mini. It has the features I wanted. A pedestal base, adjustable goose neck and a 20W halogen bulb. Man it's a whole new world.

A point of note they also carried one that was a clamp on model for about $43.00 that had a swing away magnifier.Real nice. If it was a pedestal base I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Thanks again for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.