Fly Fishing Forum banner

Too Darn Cold

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
It has been too cold to go fishing here lately so i have been driving around looking for new spots to try after the thaw. I was driving by a nearby lake the other day and saw between 200 to 300 geese in the air circling over the lake. They were not on the move to feed and could not have been searching for open water since the lake is small. When i got closer i saw a bald eagle flying just under this huge flock of geese. I thought bald eagles were mainly scavengers for fish but i imagine a christmas goose would make a nice meal as well.

#2 ·
Brad - Funny you should mention it, we got some of that too... a lot of white stuff this morning, extra long commute. I was tempted to take a digital photo and post it as "no fishing today".

You're lucky though, over the course of the winter you'll have some incredible trout fishing some of us just dream about.

What region of Colorado did you end up in? How is it positioned with respect to the rockies, and what characteristics does the drainage have from the mountains?

#3 ·
Juro, we bought a house in the NW corner of Longmont. I am 45 min, 30 miles, due east of Rocky Mtn National Park, 45 Min north of Denver and about 1h from the Wyoming border. It takes me 2h to get to cheesman canyon to the south and 2h to get to the Poudre to the north. I can get to some good spots on the St Vrain in less than 10 min. As far as the drainage everything for the most part is West to East since we are east of the divide. One notable exception is the South Platte down near deckers, it flows south to north for a long way before heading east across the high plains.

#4 ·
Sounds pretty awesome. I hope to happen into a business trip out your way soon. Past trips have brought me to Boulder twice, Denver on numerous occasions.

I almost moved to Fort Collins but that was another story!

Brad - I'll give you some names of acquaintances from your new home area by email. I appreciate you keeping visions of the rockies in my minds eye throughout the season. Whenever you get back to the east, make sure we hook up again for some stripah!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.