Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pacific side Snook

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  OC 
#1 ·
To my surprise the Sea of Cortez has Snook and in places a lot of them. I always thought that Snook were only on the Carribian side. We are in a Marina in La Paz on the Baja and there is a school of Snook hanging out under the dock. These fish look to be about 24 to 27 inches long and about 4 to 5 pounds. Along side of them there is a school of Trevally maybe 30 fish from 10 to 20 pounds not sure what type of Trevally but they have darkish stripes down their sides. Unfortunatelly we are not allowed to fish inside the Marina compound but maybe late tonight I might sneakout onto the dock after the guard does his rounds. Have any of the Sea of Cortez flyfisherman have any info on Pacific Snook I did not know they exsisted.
LaterOC

#9 ·
Yes they are called black snook and I was told they reach up to 5 feet long. That has got to be bigger than the ones on the other side. There is an old sunken ferry here in La Paz and it is said that the black snook that live around it are very big. They are very shy and hard to catch mostly done at night and rarely brought to hand.

I have gotten the biggest kick out of all the fish here that could be taken on the fly and it is out of season. Last week while anchored off of the Isle of San Francisco we found rooster fish by the dozen right along the beach. But that was just the beginning as dorado in the 5 pound class would come up in 2 feet of water chasing anchovies. What a sight to see colorful flat faced ocean going fish doing their thing on the beach. Problem was they come and go so fast you don't have much time to cast a line and the water is so dang clear you must be real lucky. Got to see my first sure sighting of bone fish last week as I was motoring the avon onto the beach going slowly across a flat. There were 5 or 6 of them about two or three pounds each and as ghostly as could be. Here in La Paz there are miles of flats and I have yet to see a fly fisherman must say it has been very windy and thats why we are still here waiting for a weather window to cross over to the mainland. If you have ever been to La Paz you know what I'm talking about as far as flats go they must be 20 miles long or more and no deeper than 4 feet at the most. It would be worth it for someone coming this way to better check it out when the windy season goes away. And La Paz is a great place as there are very few tourists and lots of great food and friendly locals.

Hey I'm the champion of mis seling no one is going take that away!
Later OC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.