Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rod recommendations

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BobK 
#1 ·
I'm looking for advice on what size (length) of rod would be the best. Having just sold my entry level two-piece 8 wt. single handed rod (9' 6"), I am looking to replace it (either buy or make) with a four-piece. The new rod would be used to fish for steelhead on smaller rivers and to supplement my existing two handed 7141. I prefer a firm/fast action and do mostly roll/spey casting with a single handed rod. I am interested in hearing about any experiences (pro and con) with different rod lengths from 9 to 10 feet.

Thanks for all your input,

DaL

G
#2 · (Edited)
T&T has a 10' 6w spey. i cast it at a local fly show, so it was not the best test. She was a good caster able to to single speys could not try the others due to space. This rod single hand casts very well, you could call it a cross-over rod. It just has a touch more cork on the butt as opposed to your normal single handed rods.

#4 ·
I'm with Juro on this one, although several of us prefer ..

the 'older' 10' Sage XP's. Very fast action rods that are really fine in the hand. Andy Zwan (fishhead on the Board ... still don't know why he chose that name:confused: ) is something to behold with is 8wt 10' XP. He's darned close to casting the same amount of line I can punch out with the 7136 Sage Spay.

And the twit hooks far more fish than I .... sigh ....:p

#5 ·
I'm partial to the 10 ft G. Loomis GLX and T&T Horizon 8 weights in single handers because they are fast and progressive action rods that bend further and further down the blank the more you load them for distance. The old Sage RPL (pre 1993) was another 10 ft 8 weight I really liked as well, but it is no longer made. The Sage XP is quite a bit slower than the GLX, Horizon, and old RPL's.

#6 ·
Like Flytier I also like the GLX in anything over a 7wt and doubly so with heavier lines and longer rods.The difference in weight is very noticable(to me) and the GLX is the only rod that feels comfortable to cast all day.My 10ft 9wt is the same weight as most companies 7wts and I don't get that extra fatigue that is often associated with longer single handed rods.It's also a serious cannon that handles virtually any line or head a person could want with ease.

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses,

After talking to different "experts" it seems that some people hate the longer rods as being to much work, whereas others love them. The difference seems to be how the rod is being used. Someone who uses a spey type cast seems to like the length and not mind the effort, but those who do a lot of false casting don't care for the way the rod works them over. I'm leaning towards the longer because of little or no overhead casting in the bigger rod sizes (like an 8 wt). Now the only question is whether to buy or to build.....

Thanks again,

Dal

#8 ·
longer rods...

Using a longer rod is NOT a chore IF you get a large enough reel to balance it! That's the secret. If you have a LONGER rod not balanced with a somewhat heavier reel, IT WILL BE A REAL CHORE to use.

Don't necessarily buy a reel for the weight you are casting - many times you will have to look at larger ones. Just make sure it balances the reel with line and backing on, and some line out, as in fishing!

BobK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.